Acetaminophen Use for Fever in Children Associated with Autism Spectrum Disorder

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

Nice editing. You missed a bit.
" It requires four injections, and has a relatively low efficacy"

From my point of view this is more relevant than a trial

"There's currently no vaccine available that offers protection against malaria, so it's very important to take antimalarial medication to reduce your chances of getting the disease"

from

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/malaria/prevention/

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

Nice editing. You missed a bit.
" It requires four injections, and has a relatively low efficacy"

From my point of view this is more relevant than a trial

"There's currently no vaccine available that offers protection against malaria, so it's very important to take antimalarial medication to reduce your chances of getting the disease"

from

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/malaria/prevention/

I knew you'd pull that one and the information quoted was perfectly sufficient to rebut your ignorance. There is a vaccine... Its efficacy is irrelevant.

Edited by StringJunky

7 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

There is a vaccine...

Not where I live.

8 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

. Its efficacy is irrelevant.

Actually, that's the whole point of the antivaxer argument.
You can't scoff at them for not using vaccines if the vaccines are, in fact, ineffective.

And it was still shoddy to cherry pick quote like that.

11 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

the information quoted was perfectly sufficient to rebut your ignorance.

How did you come to the mistaken conclusion that it was ignorance on my part?
A vaccine that doesn't work and isn't available isn't a vaccine I'm going to use.

7 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Not where I live.

Actually, that's the whole point of the antivaxer argument.
You can't scoff at them for not using vaccines if the vaccines are, in fact, ineffective.

And it was still shoddy to cherry pick quote like that.

How did you come to the mistaken conclusion that it was ignorance on my part?
A vaccine that doesn't work and isn't available isn't a vaccine I'm going to use.

I can't be arsed with you. Nothing sticks to you, does it?

Edited by StringJunky

22 hours ago, StringJunky said:

I knew you'd pull that one and the information quoted was perfectly sufficient to rebut your ignorance. There is a vaccine... Its efficacy is irrelevant.

22 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Fine.
Feel free to acknowledge that, if you had chosen just about any other  disease for which there's a proper vaccine, this wouldn't have arisen, and that I wasn't responsible for your poor choice of example.

If I may wade in a bit here. Both of you are somewhat correct. RTS,S/AS01 is indeed  a vaccine that is toward the end of the development pipeline. It is the only one to pass Phase III and next year it will be rolled out. It is distinctly different than how we consider standard vaccines, which includes efficacy (less than 40%). It is also limited to children and infants (so it could not be used for adults going on vacation, for example). The reason why it is being used at all, is essentially due to the massive risk of malaria, coupled with a complete lack of alternatives. I.e. one could consider it a an emergency vaccine of sorts. Also, it is only available within a pilot project in selected areas in Africa where Phase IV will be conducted.

13 minutes ago, CharonY said:

If I may wade in a bit here. Both of you are somewhat correct. RTS,S/AS01 is indeed  a vaccine that is toward the end of the development pipeline. It is the only one to pass Phase III and next year it will be rolled out. It is distinctly different than how we consider standard vaccines, which includes efficacy (less than 40%). It is also limited to children and infants (so it could not be used for adults going on vacation, for example). The reason why it is being used at all, is essentially due to the massive risk of malaria, coupled with a complete lack of alternatives. I.e. one could consider it a an emergency vaccine of sorts. Also, it is only available within a pilot project in selected areas in Africa where Phase IV will be conducted.

That makes sense. Cheers.