Any good post-apocalyptic books?

Fishyboi

10 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

Rule of Thr3e trilogy is an amazing series.

The power in the entire world goes out, and you get to follow the main characters as they try to rebuild society against rogue militaries, starvation, disease, and internal revolutions.

That sounds pretty cool! Any more info on it?

11 minutes ago, Fishyboi said:

That sounds pretty cool! Any more info on it?

Rule of Three by Eric Walters.

All three books have been published. Each around 400 pages.

First one follows the initial creation of the city state.

The second one follows an internal coup attempt against the city states rulers.

The third one follows a war breaking out between the city state and a rouge army.

https://www.amazon.com/Rule-Three-Eric-Walters/dp/0374355029

Edited by Raider5678

Just now, Raider5678 said:

Rule of Three by Eric Walters.

All three books have been published. Each around 400 pages.

First one follows the initial creation of the city-state.

The second one follows an internal coup attempt against the city-states rulers.

The third one follows a war breaking out between the city-state and a rogue army.

Wow, that sounds very interesting. It might give me some inspiration, but I'll have to read more into it to find out!

18 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

This book is one of my long time favs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiero's_Journey

Ooohhh, I may try that soon. I haven't seen many books on nuclear apocalypses, other than Fallout and all those AAA titles. It's a type of apocalypse not many indie games I know about use or talk about, other than Nuclear Throne of course, but we don't know what kind of nuclear apocalypse. 

The apocalypse genre helps me understand survival a bit more, since I could put that to use in my own stories.

20 minutes ago, Fishyboi said:

The apocalypse genre helps me understand survival a bit more, since I could put that to use in my own stories.

Ah, alright.

My series focuses more on the human psychology aspect of an apocalypse then the actual apocalypse.

• 1 year later...
On 2/13/2018 at 3:50 PM, Raider5678 said:

Rule of Thr3e trilogy is an amazing series.

The power in the entire world goes out, and you get to follow the main characters as they try to rebuild society against rogue militaries, starvation, disease, and internal revolutions.

yes i love it the cliffhanger killed me thought like please make more.

the grenades and all the chlorine was so funny but the dad comeing back was not very good in my opnion.

Edited by peterwlocke

• 3 years later...

Not sure they are precisely post-apocalyptic - more like set within ongoing regional disasters rather than total apocalypse, but I was impressed by the climate and bio-engineering catastrophes of Paolo Bacigalupi. Scarily plausible on some fronts - Arizona, Nevada and California warring over water whilst fighting off the waves of despised climate refugees... that keep coming from Texas (in "The Water Knife"), so desperate even heads hung on razor wire fences don't deter them. Living with the rampant diseases of crops that came out of the bio-labs of competing global food companies - the "calorie companies" - with bioengineered humans slipping their leashes in "The Windup Girl". The dystopian SE (formerly) USA with sea level rise, Cat 6 hurricanes and scavenging of raw materials the principle industry (scrap for guns and bullets) as brutal militias made up mostly of forced child recruits war against "traitors" (other militias) after the Chinese peacekeepers give up trying to help, take their supersoldiers and leave them to it - in the Shipbreaker trio ("Shipbreaker", "The Drowned Cities", "Tool"). As bad as the climate disasters are it is the human responses to it that make it horrific.

Edited by Ken Fabian

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy (bleak as hell, powerful)

Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood (wit, humor, deep perception of human nature, utter command of the science.... Atwood is a genius)

Cell, by Stephen King (just bizarre, but well told story)

I am Legend, by Richard Matheson (true classic, a master storyteller)

Blindness, by Jose Saramago (one of the books that earned him a Nobel Prize)

Lucifer's Hammer, by Niven and Pournelle (are there any Larry Niven novels, or co-written novels, that aren't pageturners and huge fun?  I'm unaware of them, if so.)

The Windup Girl, which @Ken Fabian mentioned, struck me as amazingly ambitious yet I found myself not connecting and dropping it after a few chapters.  Not sure why, but it is sad when brilliant books go unread so I might check it out again.  

The Fifth Season, by NK Jemisin.  Utterly original!  

11 hours ago, TheVat said:

The Windup Girl, which @Ken Fabian mentioned, struck me as amazingly ambitious yet I found myself not connecting and dropping it after a few chapters.  Not sure why, but it is sad when brilliant books go unread so I might check it out again. 

Probably one of Bacigalupi's least "real" stories. A lot of SF looks like fantasy to me and The Windup Girl tends towards the more fantastic. I generally find his bioengineering ideas less believable than the climate change and disparate ways nations and people cope or don't cope but I think they do make for good stories. "The Water Knife" was the one I found most plausible seeming - and is probably the most near future of them, apart from his contempory not-SF "The Doubt Factory". Which is amongst his more direct commentaries.

• 4 weeks later...