Not allowed to edit profile

15 minutes ago, Fishyboi said:

Apparently, i was going to give myself a profile picture when it said: "You are not allowed to edit this profile". Did I break a rule (This is my first time posting here) or do I need to wait?

Hello Fishyboi. You are currently a new member. Take some time to get familiar with the forum rules and different sections. In a day or two you will become a full fledged member and you will be able to add a profile picture.

Edited by Silvestru

7 hours ago, Silvestru said:

Hello Fishyboi. You are currently a new member. Take some time to get familiar with the forum rules and different sections. In a day or two you will become a full fledged member and you will be able to add a profile picture.

I registered on February 6th.

10 hours ago, Phi for All said:

The requirements are spatial rather than temporal. Make some posts in the science sections, 5 or so (I think) will do it. This keeps the ad spammers away.

17 hours ago, Fishyboi said:

Apparently, i was going to give myself a profile picture when it said: "You are not allowed to edit this profile". Did I break a rule (This is my first time posting here) or do I need to wait?

Woops, sorry my bad. I don't know why I remembered as such. No bad thought intended, I'm glad it was sorted out.

2 hours ago, Silvestru said:

Woops, sorry my bad. I don't know why I remembered as such. No bad thought intended, I'm glad it was sorted out.

The limit on the number of posts you may make in the first day may be what you were thinking. As with the number of posts Phi mentioned, it's an anti-spamming measure that is unfortunately needed. We've had visitors who posted more than a dozen spam messages in a very short time.

The number of "shell" accounts we had (no posts, but a commercial link in the profile) was staggering. IIRC the admins cleared them out a while back. So we have rules that:

— Limit the number of posts someone can make the first day, so that a spammer can come to the attention of the staff before doing much damage.

— Restrict what can be posted in the profile, to limit the effectiveness of registering so that advertising information can be posted