are sweet potato and yam suitable for diabetics ?

They both have lots of carbohydrates. Insulin is needed to break those down. Diabetics either don’t make enough insulin or any at all (depending on type). Sweet potatoes are very healthy. High blood glucose levels are not. 

https://projects.ncsu.edu/cals/agcomm/magazine/winter07/diabetes.html

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/vegetable/health-benefits-of-sweet-potatoes.html

Control Diabetes

Contrary to popular belief, sweet potatoes are beneficial for diabetics. Amazingly, they are very effective in regulating blood sugar levels by helping the proper secretion and function of insulin. Of course, that does not mean that diabetics should eat them indiscriminately. The idea is that sweet potatoes can replace rice or carbohydrate intake as a healthier option.

Can we believe in these researches and provide sweet potatoes for diabetics ?

12 minutes ago, fresh said:

Can we believe in these researches and provide sweet potatoes for diabetics ?

Which Diabetics? (where I am from there are no sweet potatoes growing)

Also we should think of providing diabetics better treatment and insulin before sweet potatoes. (Just because they aren't unhealthy as previously thought doesn't mean that they are the cure that diabetics needed).

Maybe, but looks to me your source is focused more on selling yams and organic s than presenting objective evidence and conclusions.

It’s certainly easier for a type 2 diabetic to break down the glucose in sweet potatoes than stuff like white potatoes or rice, but for purposes of blood sugar control it would still be better for them to eat lean protein and green vegetables than potatoes (sweet or otherwise).

The title of that research is Researchers reveal sweet potato as weapon against diabetes.

it seems sweet potatoes is a treatment for diabetes. 

Researchers reveal sweet potato as weapon against diabetes.

similar to Researchers reveal XX as weapon against xx(disease) . 

isn't it ?  i have no idea whether we could trust it.

8 minutes ago, fresh said:

The title of that research is Researchers reveal sweet potato as weapon against diabetes.

it seems sweet potatoes is a treatment for diabetes. 

Researchers reveal sweet potato as weapon against diabetes.

similar to Researchers reveal XX as weapon against xx(disease) . 

isn't it ?  i have no idea whether we could trust it.

iNow was questioning the source not the title.

In fairness, the study does talk about the glycemic index of the sweet potato and that ties to the point I made about lean protein. Still, eating 7 bunches of spinach or 4 steaks will not raise blood sugar as much as one sweet potato. It's all relative.

9 minutes ago, fresh said:

No, I have my reason. 

Mhm...So you were waiting for me to say:

Oh fresh, I recommend the Sweet Potato Casserole Topped with gooey marshmallows and coconut crumble, just for you to come back with this information?

That boiling it is better? Talk about a loaded question...

Which one has the lowest GI? Which one has the highest? Microwaving sweet potato is same as baking it, and steaming is like the way of boiling, am I right? 

How you cook the food really matters for those who have blood sugar problems.

how do you guys think?

The glycaemic index of potatoes: the effect of variety, cooking method and maturity

Conclusions: Potatoes, regardless of variety, cooking method and maturity, have exceptionally high GI values.  New potatoes have relatively lower GI values which is attributed to differences in starch structure. https://www.nature.com/articles/1600713.pdf?origin=ppub

sweet potato is different from potato.

25 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Put into practice, test your blood sugar respectively after steaming sweet potatoes for 15 minutes,25 minutes, and 30 minutes or even longer . You will find out the longer you steam it, the higher the GI it has.

same with rice and potato.

the results of your blood sugar is what you should believe.

16 minutes ago, fresh said:

sweet potato is different from potato.

From what I've been reading there doesn't seem to be a massive difference.

36 minutes ago, iNow said:

I think I take the same amount of insulin no matter how I cook it. 

From this article, it seems you can eat it but have to make adjustments in the total carbs for the day. Is that right, so it's all about working to a constant carbohydrate budget?

Balance really. I’m type 1 so take insulin no matter what I eat. Must adjust for carb amounts, activity level, illness, etc. but most times am just trying to determine about how many carbs I’m eating. Cooking method has never once been a consideration for me after decades.