Deuterium star?

Moontanman

Does anyone know what the mass of a gas planet would have to be for it to be stable and fusing deuterium if it was made up of 100% deuterium? 

Or if such a body was made up of helium 3? 

I've been trying to use google to get some info on that possibility but evidently no one wants to know but me... 

Answer questions (or search the net):

What is energy needed to ionize (change state to plasma) Hydrogen/Deuterium/Tritium.. ? Convert it to temperature.

What is needed to exceed Coulomb's barrier for various elements.. ? Convert it to temperature.

What is pressure needed to receive such temperatures?

How pressure changes with depth of (spherical) object? Convert it to mass/volume/radius of sphere.

Edited by Sensei

Here's the quote from wiki page on brown dwarfs:

They are, however, thought to fuse deuterium (2H) and to fuse lithium (7Li) if their mass is above a debated[4] threshold of 13 MJ and 65 MJ, respectively.[2] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_dwarf

The size, though, will be more or less the same as the Jupiter, which is as I understand is more or less as big as a gas giant can get. After that it won't increase the size much, just will become more and more dense. Even smaller M-class red dwarfs like Proxima Centauri are only ~20% larger than Jupiter in size.

Not sure about 3He though.

Edited by pavelcherepan

8 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Does anyone know what the mass of a gas planet would have to be for it to be stable and fusing deuterium if it was made up of 100% deuterium? 

Or if such a body was made up of helium 3? 

I've been trying to use google to get some info on that possibility but evidently no one wants to know but me... 

Maybe this link will help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeans_instability. I think it covers what Sensei mentioned.

3 hours ago, pavelcherepan said:

Here's the quote from wiki page on brown dwarfs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_dwarf

The size, though, will be more or less the same as the Jupiter, which is as I understand is more or less as big as a gas giant can get. After that it won't increase the size much, just will become more and more dense. Even smaller M-class red dwarfs like Proxima Centauri are only ~20% larger than Jupiter in size.

Not sure about 3He though.

Jupiter's mass is measured at 1.898 x 10 to the power of 27 kg. and would need to be about 75% to 80% more massive  to achieve  stellar ignition (   http://nuclearplanet.com/Stellar Ignition and Dark Matter.html  ). I'll let you do the maths - i can't! :(

Incidentally, i believe that Proxima Centauri has fuel enough to last for 4 trillion years!    

My reason for this is to make an artificial star, as small as possible but still release energy at high amounts. A small body made up of 100% (more or less) deuterium, the idea is for it to radiate more like a G2 star but be small and used as an artificial energy source. A helium 3 star might be just as plausible/non plausible, the smaller the size that could be used to create energy the more useful it would be for ETI's. 

I do appreciate the math tables guys but this stuff is way beyond my megar math skills.. .

1 minute ago, Moontanman said:

My reason for this is to make an artificial star, as small as possible but still release energy at high amounts. A small body made up of 100% (more or less) deuterium, the idea is for it to radiate more like a G2 star but be small and used as an artificial energy source. A helium 3 star might be just as plausible/non plausible, the smaller the size that could be used to create energy the more useful it would be for ETI's. 

I do appreciate the math tables guys but this stuff is way beyond my megar math skills.. .

It seems it's twenty years off, here on Earth, well at least for the last twenty years or so...