Liquid fertilizer [hydroponics]

Externet

Heard a long time ago, that a guy was boiling in water, a mix of good fertile topsoil and packaged gardening soil to sterilize it, then filtered and used that water for hydroponics instead of using commercial  'plant food'  products.

Does it make any sense ?

20 minutes ago, Externet said:

Heard a long time ago, that a guy was boiling in water, a mix of good fertile topsoil and packaged gardening soil to sterilize it, then filtered and used that water for hydroponics instead of using commercial  'plant food'  products.

Does it make any sense ?

It makes some sense, a better way to go is to use liquid fertilizers. Boiling could degrade some of the things plants need, I'm not sure but boiling it would remove things like  good bacteria and it might break down some of the organics plants need. I often use old aquarium water to grow plants, I never thought of boiling it. Aquarium water and mulm are a black liquid that will settle out but it takes a long time. Plants really grow well in it, the boiling part has kinda thrown me off a bit. I'll have to do some googling... 

37 minutes ago, Externet said:

Does it make any sense ?

i don't think so. As Moon said, you'll be killing the microscopic life, which are the whole point of using organics. If you are going to mess about boiling it you'll just have a bunch of chemicals in solution; you might as well use packaged chemicals that are tailored to your desired crop. it's the same thing with less mess and more predictable results.

Edited by StringJunky

Thanks.

Would the boiling make sense to make a 'sterile soil juice' to avoid introducing bad bacteria at the cost of not introducing good bacteria, nematodes and other beneficial microorganisms in the intention to preserve the entire cultivation from illnesses ? 

The hydroponic fluid circulates to all plants and containers,  carrying an undesirable something could infect the whole operation and equipment... I think.

I do not see "the point of using organics"   Are the chemicals in normal soiless hydroponics  'organics' ?  To me seems more 'artificial' than organics.

I usually microwave potting soil to germinate indoors, and never have weeds sprouting.  Now in winter dusting off my 'Aerogarden' , triggered this thread.

Edited by Externet
Added text

16 minutes ago, Externet said:

Thanks.

Would the boiling make sense to make a 'sterile soil juice' to avoid introducing bad bacteria at the cost of not introducing good bacteria, nematodes and other beneficial microorganisms in the intention to preserve the entire cultivation from illnesses ? 

The hydroponic fluid circulates to all plants and containers,  carrying an undesirable something could infect the whole operation and equipment... I think.

I do not see "the point of using organics"   The chemicals in normal soiless hydroponics are 'organics' ?  To me seems more 'artificial' than organics.

I usually microwave potting soil to germinate indoors, and never have weeds sprouting.  Now in winter I dusted off my 'Aerogarden' and triggered this thread.

When sprouting seeds I worry a bit about fungus and use a fungicide, trying to sterilize the soil by boiling would kill good and bad bacteria but keeping the system stirile seems to be an impossible task. i would think that bad bacteria would be more likely to dominate such a culture. In organic soil good bacteria and good fungi as well as other organisms are an important part of growing. I have to agree with SJ, if you are worried about sterile conditions it's best to go with sterile chemicals. I would think there would be less chance of wayward bacteria taking over a sterile fluid than a fluid with lots of organic matter that will support almost any kind of bacteria and it wouldn't have the good bacteria to suppress what ever began to grow. 

What about not boiling then ? 

Like  soil with all its good and bad into a concrete mixer for a good chunk of time with plenty of water; then filtering the water to remove solids for hydroponic nutrient use ?

Seems more natural than packaged chemicals.  Unsure if the word 'organic' applies anywhere here.

35 minutes ago, Externet said:

What about not boiling then ? 

Like  soil with all its good and bad into a concrete mixer for a good chunk of time with plenty of water; then filtering the water to remove solids for hydroponic nutrient use ?

Seems more natural than packaged chemicals.  Unsure if the word 'organic' applies anywhere here.

Well it depends on what you mean by organic, if you take it the way it is commonly used these days I think it's meaningless. I guess it depends on what kind of substrate you are using. If you are using something like rock wool I am not sure how that would be affected. ph might be a factor as well. the "tea" from your soil might be quite acidic. On the other hand I have had some amazing results using the water from my sponge filters I get when i clean them. It's like a thin black oil and plants jump out the ground when this mineralized fish excrement is applied... 

..."Mineralized fish excrement"...   Why saying 'mineralized' ?

Sounds like water from a very murky river that has washed / collected nutrients and minerals from extensive areas of soils, and precipitated much of solids should be a good ''soil juice' for hydroponics ?    And murky river sediment good for soil gardening.

What is "substrate" in hydroponics ?  Prefer not to have any excrements for indoors hydroponics even if called composted excrements.

21 minutes ago, Externet said:

Sounds like water from a very murky river that has washed / collected nutrients and minerals from extensive areas of soils, and precipitated much of solids should be a good ''soil juice' for hydroponics ?    And murky river sediment good for soil gardening.

What is "substrate" in hydroponics ?  Prefer not to have any excrements for indoors hydroponics even if called composted excrements.

Substrate is the medium that holds the plants roots instead of soil, like rockwool, pebbles etc. What's the difference between composted excrement and the composted bodies of countless critters (including their excrement) in soil? Just use material that has undergone complete decomposition.

Edited by StringJunky

2 hours ago, Externet said:

The waste has been composted or the aquatic version of composting. 

No not murky river water, the sponge filters actually trap fish excrement, left over fish food, and plant debris and the flow of oxygenated water through the sponge and good bacteria as well as infusoria turn the raw ingredients into a harmless mulm (aquatic version of compost) that can be left to accumulate if you want but I prefer to remove at least some of it...  

Then you do not use composted cow manure? Once it is composted it is not nasty in any way and plants love it...