DOJ and FBI under attack

Ten oz

The DOJ is led by Trump appointees. These continued attacks absurd. Plus they appear to be meant to intimidate Federal investigators who have a job to do. If this was anyone besides this Presidents such threats would be universal seen as obstruction of justice and or extortion in my opinion. 

President Trump tweeted Wednesday morning that he eventually "will have no choice but to use the powers granted to the presidency and get involved" in the "rigged system." Mr. Trump's rather vague comments seemed to be directed at the Justice Department, and how it hasn't met every demand from conservative Republicans to hand over documents. 

"They don't want to turn over Documents to Congress. What are they afraid of? Why so much redacting? Why such unequal 'justice?'" Mr. Trump tweeted Wednesday morning. 

The president's comments follow remarks he made on "Fox and Friends" last week, about whether he would get involved in the Justice Department. "So I'm very disappointed in my Justice Department but because of the fact that it's going under, and I think you'll understand this, I have decided that I won't be involved," Mr. Trump told the hosts of one of his favorite television shows last week. "I may change my mind at some point because what's going on is a disgrace."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-says-he-will-eventually-have-no-choice-but-to-get-involved-with-rigged-system/

It is really strange. Traditionally the FBI has been a very conservative organization and in that regard some questionable track records (e.g. during the civil rights movement), which have put them at odds with a number of progressive movements. Trump apparently has flipped the playbook.

10 minutes ago, CharonY said:

It is really strange. Traditionally the FBI has been a very conservative organization and in that regard some questionable track records (e.g. during the civil rights movement), which have put them at odds with a number of progressive movements. Trump apparently has flipped the playbook.

Every administration appoints their own people to pertinent positions across all Federal agencies to assist them in accomplishing their policy objectives. It is not uncommon for these appointees to bend the rules much as possible from time to time in order to help the administration. Roberto Gonzales (Attorney General) typing up a memo enabling the Bush administration to waterboard people comes to mind. This is different though. Trump is not berating the FBI and DOJ is pursuit of policy objectives and the scale is beyond that of bending the rules. Trump is being investigated for possibly (definitely)  breaking the law both before and after becoming President and he is basically using the strength of his office to intimidate officials to prevent them from doing their jobs. I cannot think of a comparison to this. A President using their office to obstruct justice related to actives that pre-date their time in office and aren't even related to policy goals. Courts can hold Attorney Generals accountable when they attempt to enforce unconstitutional laws or violate peoples rights but that isn't really what Trump is pressuring his people to do. This whole situation is unique and exists beyond any previous norms or bending of policy.

5 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

Every administration appoints their own people to pertinent positions across all Federal agencies to assist them in accomplishing their policy objectives. It is not uncommon for these appointees to bend the rules much as possible from time to time in order to help the administration.

From my reading the FBI culture was always heavily conservative. Appointees from  Democrat presidents were not really an exception. However, one could specify that it is more about conservative and pro-establishment values, as the posts were also assumed to be apolitical (though it has to be mentioned that almost all directors were either independent or Republicans).

7 minutes ago, CharonY said:

From my reading the FBI culture was always heavily conservative. Appointees from  Democrat presidents were not really an exception. However, one could specify that it is more about conservative and pro-establishment values, as the posts were also assumed to be apolitical (though it has to be mentioned that almost all directors were either independent or Republicans).

The belief in the rule of law generally was separated from political affiliation. Though recently this does not appear to be true.

34 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Mueller is a Republican and Comey was one for the majority of his career. What Trump is engaged in isn't political in nature outside of him being a politician. His actions, what is being investigated, are purely criminal. In any era the FBI and DOJ would be interested in criminal behavior.