Tree Pruning

EugeneJS

4 minutes ago, EugeneJS said:

I have no clue as I was just passing by when I spotted this tree. I would like a general opinion rather than a specific one pertaining to this tree. 

I've pruned a lot of trees and that's an awful job. It's been done with no thought to how it's going to recover and grow from there. Based on not knowing what is and also considering giving it a chance, I would cut all those boughs to within 50cm of the trunk and then monitor it. It may sprout new shoots and may develop a compact canopy. BUT looking at the old wounds on it and its apparent age, I think it's ruined. As it is, I think it will always look a scraggly mess. It was too late really to start something like that on a tree that age. This is just my opinion.

Tree near my apartment had ~25m, and it was cut at ~ 0.5m above the ground. It immediately released new branch from stump. And second one directly from roots from the ground. After two months they had 2 meters already..

There are plants which you can cut to couple, put pieces in the ground, and each of them will release new roots and become independent plant.

It's called vegetative reproduction

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetative_reproduction

"With most woody plants, clonal colonies arise by wide-ranging roots that at intervals send up new shoots, termed suckers."

"Trees and shrubs with branches that touch the ground can form colonies via layering, e. g. willow and blackberry."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonal_colony

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_shoot

Edited by Sensei

Pollarding is generally beneficial. (But that doesn’t look as if it has been done very well.)

22 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Tree near my apartment had ~25m, and it was cut at ~ 0.5m above the ground.

Coppicing is also beneficial (I heard of some trees in the UK that are 2000 years old because they have been coppiced every 20 years) but is done for different purposes. 

10 minutes ago, Strange said:

Pollarding is generally beneficial. (But that doesn’t look as if it has been done very well.)

Coppicing is also beneficial (I heard of some trees in the UK that are 2000 years old because they have been coppiced every 20 years) but is done for different purposes. 

It depends on the species, willow will grow no matter what (put a willow twig in the ground and see what happens); try pollarding an oak...

• 5 months later...

Yes, the tree will survive if the Pruning is done correctly. contact a Profesional for doing the work. For more details, you can read my article at advertisingnotallowedhere.com

Edited by Phi for All
No advertising, please

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.