Avocado-thread

Itoero

Are there people that grow avocado trees? With harvest?

Here in Belgium it's to cold in the winter but I'm emerging some seeds and I'm going to grow them outside in summer and inside in winter.

I'm using the toothpick method.Afbeeldingsresultaat voor toothpick method+avocado

14 minutes ago, Itoero said:

Are there people that grow avocado trees? With harvest?

Here in Belgium it's to cold in the winter but I'm emerging some seeds and I'm going to grow them outside in summer and inside in winter.

I'm using the toothpick method.Afbeeldingsresultaat voor toothpick method+avocado

Lost in translation. By 'emerging' , do you mean submerging seeds (in the water) or germinating them? 

1 hour ago, Itoero said:

You might want to check how large the tree gets before it fruits ...

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

Lost in translation. By 'emerging' , do you mean submerging seeds (in the water) or germinating them? 

Oeps yes, it should be 'germinating'.

18 minutes ago, Strange said:

You might want to check how large the tree gets before it fruits ...

I'm not growing one for harvest...But there are trees that remain smaller and produce avocado in a couple years.

11 minutes ago, Itoero said:

The avocado's are rotting. I put cinnamon on them, it has an antiseptic working.

Don't be so quick to assume they are rotting, have you changed the water for new water every day? Mine looked like they were rotting before they began to sprout. 

1 hour ago, Moontanman said:

Don't be so quick to assume they are rotting, have you changed the water for new water every day? Mine looked like they were rotting before they began to sprout. 

Ah ok, I'll change the water. I thought of changing the water after a week.

Edited by Itoero

What you are doing in the first picture... With a scrubbed clean and pointy end up seed of a very ripe fruit, half submerged. Do it in darkness and warm temperature near 30C  4+ weeks until sprouts 30cm high.  Like inside a closet.  Then transplant to soil.  It will not bear fruit unless 4+ years pass... in tropic weather, about 5 metres tall.

Left unprotected outside, you will be thanked by the squirrells.

Edited by Externet

On ‎3‎-‎2‎-‎2018 at 9:16 PM, Externet said:

What you are doing in the first picture... With a scrubbed clean and pointy end up seed of a very ripe fruit, half submerged. Do it in darkness and warm temperature near 30C  4+ weeks until sprouts 30cm high.  Like inside a closet.  Then transplant to soil.  It will not bear fruit unless 4+ years pass... in tropic weather, about 5 metres tall.

Left unprotected outside, you will be thanked by the squirrells.

That's a big problem...there are no squirrels in my garden.

1 hour ago, Itoero said:

ok :) I was just wondering...

I've heard there are forests (in Belgium) where they reduce the number of gray squirrels to save the red squirrels.

A similar situation here.  Greys are aliens from the US and they displace the reds.

58 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

A similar situation here.  Greys are aliens from the US and they displace the reds.

Funny.

I always assumed the redskin squirrels would be from the United States....

I never even knew they were an invasive species either way, so yeah. Learn something new everyday.

Edited by Raider5678

I was changing the water on my avocado seedlings and i realised I might be doing something you are not that i didn't mention. I grow  Riccia fluitans in all my jars, The stuff has pretty much taken over any standing water that doesn't have azzola in it, azzola is even more aggressive but both fix nitrogen from the atmosphere and the tree roots seem to be tangled up in the Riccia... Maybe? Maybe not?