Primates cloned with the same technique as used with Dolly the sheep in 1996.

koti

12 hours ago, Alex_Krycek said:

"Cloning of macaque monkeys a breakthrough, but researchers insist work will not be extended to humans"

Yeah.  Sure China.  Whatever you say.

Considering China’s enormous population - I believe them.

7 hours ago, koti said:

Considering China’s enormous population - I believe them.

They do have an enormous population, but having such sheer numbers inevitably leads to dehumanization of the masses, especially in the eyes of the elite.  I find it highly unlikely that any ethical consideration would stand in the way of scientific progress in China.  It's more likely they are feigning moral restraint so that hopefully other competing nations slow their own progress in the name of ethics.  It's a necessary charade in a grand strategic game.  

Edited by Alex_Krycek

7 minutes ago, Alex_Krycek said:

They do have an enormous population, but having such sheer numbers inevitably leads to dehumanization of the masses, especially in the eyes of the elite.  I find it highly unlikely that any ethical consideration would stand in the way of scientific progress in China.  It's more likely they are feigning moral restraint so that hopefully other competing nations slow their own progress in the name of ethics.  It's a necessary charade in a grand strategic game.  

I don’t know what strategic game and charades they might be playing human cloning wise but who knows, you might be right.

7 hours ago, koti said:

I don’t know what strategic game and charades they might be playing human cloning wise but who knows, you might be right.

When you get into cloning and / or genetically engineering a human being it's a pandora's box with obvious benefits.  Maybe they're working to create a "super soldier" with genius level IQ and incredible strength / speed.  Perhaps there's some way to marry nano-technology with a cloned human being that would allow it to be controlled from afar, or they could build in some kind of advanced data collection / surveillance system for espionage purposes.  Yes, it's far fetched, but remember that those in the military have to think 70-150 years in the future, and start implementing solutions now.  Have a look at some of the declassified projects that DARPA has released on their website.  And that's stuff that isn't classified. Ultimately if you want a working prototype of any "next level" human being, it's going to involve a lot of trial and error, so ethical constraints would have to be abandoned.  

5 minutes ago, Alex_Krycek said:

Yes, it's far fetched,

!

Moderator Note

And it's also baseless conspiracy guesswork, and not something we encourage here. We can discuss the ramifications of cloning without speculating on specific Chinese motives in this case.

Understood.  I'll stay focused on cloning and not the probability that China is being honest / ethical.

(As a footnote:  past evidence shows they don't have the best track record when it comes to this matter, as was the case late last year when they were found gathering all the DNA of their muslim population in the west of the country to build a massive DNA database, all under the guise of free government provided health checks.  

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/13/chinese-authorities-collecting-dna-residents-xinjiang)

But I'll move on from that line of discussion.

7 minutes ago, Alex_Krycek said:

But I'll move on from that line of discussion.

Shame...I was hoping for some more insight on a Chinese super-human Muslim genius clone soldier with a high IQ and insane strenght and speed.

7 hours ago, koti said:

Shame...I was hoping for some more insight on a Chinese super-human Muslim genius clone soldier with a high IQ and insane strenght and speed.

Lol...touché.  Personally I think you should weaponize your unique brand of sarcasm and sell it to the government for assassination purposes. 

5 minutes ago, Alex_Krycek said:

Lol...touché.  Personally I think you should weaponize your unique brand of sarcasm and sell it to the government for assassination purposes. 

Worst Polish on Polish abuse since the civil war of 1704 :unsure:

From the article you linked to:

"The technology, described in Cell1 on 24 January, could also be combined with gene-editing tools such as CRISPR–Cas9 to create genetically engineered primate-brain models of human disorders, including Parkinson’s disease."

Interesting.

Spurred by the promise of primate research, the city of Shanghai is planning major funding for an International Primate Research Center, expected to be formally announced in the next few months. The centre will produce clones for scientists around the globe. “This will be the CERN of primate neurobiology,” Poo says. There’s already high demand from pharmaceutical companies that want to use cloned monkeys to test drugs, he says.

Another ethics red-flag.  The logic seems to be: "they're cloned, so by default they shouldn't be afforded any rights."  

Although most reproductive biologists are unlikely to consider using the technique to clone humans because of ethical objections, Mitalipov worries that it might be attempted in a private clinic.

It's only logical if private investment is involved. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.