I have an idea to propose

Stringz96

Iv always been interested in science yet I don't have the knowledge some of you possess so I have an idea that I want to run by yous and see what people think and see if there is proof against this or anything but it came out a few years ago the moon was 'drifting away' from the earth and from what I remember there was no real reasoning behind it, I never thought about this much until last night when I spotted a news article stating we are also drifting away from the sun, so here's my hypothesis, what if it's not us or the moon moving and it's instead due to the expansion of the universe like maybe it's not just growing towards the ends but instead expanding from every place from within the universe, creating the illusion that other celestial bodies in the universe are moving apart instead. Might be completely wrong but if so I'd like to know why,  mostly just thought it was an interesting point to bring up so thought I'd see people's opinions(I doubt this is a new idea so it may have already been disproved but a Google search couldn't really see anything) 

9 minutes ago, Stringz96 said:

Iv always been interested in science yet I don't have the knowledge some of you possess so I have an idea that I want to run by yous and see what people think and see if there is proof against this or anything but it came out a few years ago the moon was 'drifting away' from the earth and from what I remember there was no real reasoning behind it,

It's called tidal locking, the moon is accelerated by it and is slowly reaching trying to reach escape velocity.

Edited by dimreepr

9 minutes ago, Stringz96 said:

.... and it's instead due to the expansion of the universe like maybe it's not just growing towards the ends but instead expanding from every place from within the universe, creating the illusion that other celestial bodies in the universe are moving apart instead. 

You got this bit right. The expansion is not like an explosion, with the edges moving outwards, but the distance is increasing between non-gravitationally bound objects. Wherever you stand everything is moving away from you. This doesn't apply on the scale of our solar system though but on a much larger scale; between galactic superclusters. Tidal-locking, as Dimreepr mentioned, is the cause of your described scenario.

I just watched a video detailing what would happen if the earth stopped spinning just before coming back on here and in that video it actually mentioned about tidal locking so if I had watched that prior to this I would of atleast knew why the moon is moving away, also a second point on the distance between us and the sun, if this distance increases over thousands or millions of years would the earth be repelled out of the sun's gravitational pull and just be launched or could this not happen since pluto(I know it's not a planet just using it as a point of reference) is so far from the sun, so small and on a chaotic orbit but it still hasn't been ejected and so it's Almost like everything is expanding from a central point but then at the same time it's as if that central point could be anywhere and everywhere in the universe at once or am I just thinking too much haha

38 minutes ago, Stringz96 said:

I just watched a video detailing what would happen if the earth stopped spinning just before coming back on here and in that video it actually mentioned about tidal locking so if I had watched that prior to this I would of atleast knew why the moon is moving away, also a second point on the distance between us and the sun, if this distance increases over thousands or millions of years would the earth be repelled out of the sun's gravitational pull and just be launched or could this not happen since pluto(I know it's not a planet just using it as a point of reference) is so far from the sun, so small and on a chaotic orbit but it still hasn't been ejected and so it's Almost like everything is expanding from a central point but then at the same time it's as if that central point could be anywhere and everywhere in the universe at once or am I just thinking too much haha

No, because the further away tidally locked objects get the less energy the escaping object gets, so it will never escape.

2 hours ago, Stringz96 said:

The Earth's slow recession from the Sun occurs for an entirely different reason than the Moon's recession from the Earth.  The Sun is converting Hydrogen into Helium and energy. The energy is given off as the light we see from the Sun.  The Sun is also emitting particles which form the solar wind.  Both these processes have the effect of reducing the mass of the Sun.  Thus it's gravitational grip on the Earth is slowly loosening.    But this is a slow process.  It would take billions of years just for the Earth to move out as far as Mars' present orbit.

An additional factor is that the Sun will not continue to burn in the same way as it does now.  Stars have a life-cycle, and for stars like our Sun, this includes eventually expanding into a red giant star, that will be much less dense than it is now, but will have a surface that could expand past the Earth's present orbit.  Its iffy as to whether the Earth will have moved out far enough away to avoid be engulfed by the Sun when this happens.  Even if not engulfed, it may still be deep enough into the Sun "atmosphere" for drag to slowly rob it of its orbital energy and cause it to creep back in towards the Sun.

8 hours ago, Stringz96 said:

Iv always been interested in science yet I don't have the knowledge some of you possess so I have an idea that I want to run by yous and see what people think and see if there is proof against this or anything but it came out a few years ago the moon was 'drifting away' from the earth and from what I remember there was no real reasoning behind it, I never thought about this much until last night when I spotted a news article stating we are also drifting away from the sun, so here's my hypothesis, what if it's not us or the moon moving and it's instead due to the expansion of the universe like maybe it's not just growing towards the ends but instead expanding from every place from within the universe, creating the illusion that other celestial bodies in the universe are moving apart instead. Might be completely wrong but if so I'd like to know why,  mostly just thought it was an interesting point to bring up so thought I'd see people's opinions(I doubt this is a new idea so it may have already been disproved but a Google search couldn't really see anything) 

The exact mechanism by which the Moon is moving away from the earth, goes like this.....     The Moon attracts the Oceans which because of the earth's revolving on its axis, sees the Oceans moving slightly ahead of the overhead Moon. This has the effect of "pulling" the Moon into a higher orbit, and at the same time, the tidal frictions of the Oceans, is slowing the earth by a tiny amount. In time, around a billion years or so, the Moon will be much further away, and the Earth will have one side permanently facing the Moon, just as the Moon now has one side permanently facing Earth. A day on Earth will then be equal to around a month. Of course around that same time, the Sun will have started to reach its giant red phase and whether we will be around anyway is doubtful.