Rules update: scope of the rules

swansont

In section 2, we have added the following:

Please note that the above rules apply to all sections of the forum, including private messages.

We have occasionally witnessed actions from people who for some reason thought that posting in PMs and/or status updates would not be treated the same as forum posts would be, often regarding civility. You are still expected to follow the rules in all areas of the site.

20 hours ago, swansont said:

In section 2, we have added the following:

Please note that the above rules apply to all sections of the forum, including private messages.

We have occasionally witnessed actions from people who for some reason thought that posting in PMs and/or status updates would not be treated the same as forum posts would be, often regarding civility. You are still expected to follow the rules in all areas of the site.

I have a question regarding the messaging system. Are the moderators or admins or anyone apart from the people involved in a private message able to read that private message?

Admins can, unless the member is banned. Not a power that’s often used, however. 

The reason for this new addition is that we have had cases where members have (rightly) reported PM’s from other members that have been abusive or spammy. When the other member is approached by staff, they complain that the rules don’t say anything about PM’s. It should be pretty obvious that you can’t use the messaging system to go around abusing or harassing people, but since we have had people try to wriggle out of warnings because it wasn’t clearly spelled out we decided to make it explicit. 

The common sense that applies to all social media applies here and says

Don't post anything you might come to regret or be ashamed of at a later date.

The news all too often often reports on the sad fate of someone who ignored this piece of sound advice.

Edited by studiot

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 1/22/2018 at 11:13 AM, koti said:

I have a question regarding the messaging system. Are the moderators or admins or anyone apart from the people involved in a private message able to read that private message?

Admins/programmers are practically always able to read by analyze of database records and files on disks (even if such functionality has not been created intentionally)... You would have to use your own private encryption/decryption algorithm which only you and person to whom you're writing PM exclusively know, to disallow reading conversation by system admins/programmers.

Also, content of private message is sent to mailbox of interlocutor. So if somebody gained access to your and interlocutor e-mail accounts, he/she can read your private messages from this forum. Mailing system is not secure transmission. Intercepting router, switch, server, ISP, will capture contents of PM during sending/receiving.

19 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Admins/programmers are practically always able to read by analyze of database records and files on disks (even if such functionality has not been created intentionally)... You would have to use your own private encryption/decryption algorithm which only you and person to whom you're writing PM exclusively know, to disallow reading conversation by system admins/programmers.

Also, content of private message is sent to mailbox of interlocutor. So if somebody gained access to your and interlocutor e-mail accounts, he/she can read your private messages from this forum. Mailing system is not secure transmission. Intercepting router, switch, server, ISP, will capture contents of PM during sending/receiving.

I don't think hacking or any other form of compromising the system was the issue here. Just normal, everyday activity, and the question was addressed.

"Don't post anything you might come to regret or be ASHAMED of at a later date"

I don't know Studiot, if you make appropriate use of the forum, and learn new things, you may be ashamed at the lack of knowledge you previously had.
And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Much better to be a bit embarrassed about previous ignorance than to carry on being really embarrassingly ill informed.

Nobody was born knowing this stuff; we all learned it and before we learned it... we didn't know it.
So what would be shameful about that fact?

2 hours ago, MigL said:

"Don't post anything you might come to regret or be ASHAMED of at a later date"

I don't know Studiot, if you make appropriate use of the forum, and learn new things, you may be ashamed at the lack of knowledge you previously had.
And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm very glad to say that I have learned much from others on Scienceforums, and I can't see any shame in that, only pleasure.

My comment was addressed to those who either post offensive material or are careless about their own personal data and perhaps post silly photographs or comments due to overexuberance.

On 1/22/2018 at 12:16 PM, studiot said:

Don't post anything you might come to regret or be ashamed of at a later date.

2 hours ago, studiot said:

My comment was addressed to those who either post offensive material or are careless about their own personal data and perhaps post silly photographs or comments due to overexuberance. 

The more realistic is addressing it to people under influence of psychoactive compounds during weekend.. :) But in such state, they are losing their safety brakes and telling too much,  exposing too much, than they would like in the normal circumstances. After Sunday's hangover, messages disappear.. but in the Internet nothing really disappears.. ;)