Epigenetics and future generations

luke1i1

Hi all

I'm new to the forum so please be kind!

I have a question (well a few really but I'll start with this one) which I was hoping you fine people might shed some light on.

I have been reading about epigenetics which from what I understand relates to how our genes have an impact on our future generations.

My question is this, if what we do in life affects our genes (which is what I understand epigenetics is about) then does this mean that if we undertake a specific occupation in life (such as working in healthcare) would it alter our genes so that our future offspring (and thier offspring and so on) may also be more inclined to work in a similar occupation due to their genes somehow predisposing them to a feeling of wanting to work in this setting?

I know it may sound mad but it's something I have been trying to establish for some time.

Thanks in advance

Luke

2 minutes ago, luke1i1 said:

My question is this, if what we do in life affects our genes (which is what I understand epigenetics is about) then does this mean that if we undertake a specific occupation in life (such as working in healthcare) would it alter our genes so that our future offspring (and thier offspring and so on) may also be more inclined to work in a similar occupation due to their genes somehow predisposing them to a feeling of wanting to work in this setting?

Firstly, I think it takes quite severe lifestyle or environmental factors to have any effect; things like growing up without sufficient nutrition (or too much). Things like a different choice of job won't have any effect. (Although I think extreme events like PTSD can have epigenetic effects.)

And although there is some evidence that some epigenetic effects can be passed on to offspring to some extent, as far as I know that only lasts for one or two generations.

6 hours ago, CharonY said:

All genetics impact future generations (by definition). Epigenetics refers to that part of inheritable features that are not based on alterations of the DNA sequence itself.

Hi Charon

Sorry but to clarify does this mean that what I purported was true?

Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable re: epigenetics!

Thanks

Luke

13 hours ago, Strange said:

Firstly, I think it takes quite severe lifestyle or environmental factors to have any effect; things like growing up without sufficient nutrition (or too much). Things like a different choice of job won't have any effect. (Although I think extreme events like PTSD can have epigenetic effects.)

And although there is some evidence that some epigenetic effects can be passed on to offspring to some extent, as far as I know that only lasts for one or two generations.

If the conditions that cause an epigenetic change in a generation occur for multiple generations, does the probability of a related genetic change increase or change in any way.