U.S. Immigration

Ten oz

Australia's economy survives on immigration.

Australia accepts about 200,000 immigrants a year, and this is what drives the Australian economy's growth. Without it, the country's economy wouldn't be so successful.

But Australian immigration policy is extremely regulated. Most of our immigrants are skilled workers, well educated or rich. And it isn't cheap to get citizenship. Most people spend about 10 to 20 thousand to get 4 year visa. Not too sure how much a permanent residency visa is though, is about $4,000 without a lawyers help, but more if a lawyer is employed.

Edited by NNY

58 minutes ago, Scott of the Antares said:

Do you think any human being born anywhere in the world has a right to live in any country in the world unchallenged?

That's a strawman, but since you ask yes; people don't choose to be forced from their homes, but when they get here <insert location> they improve here and it's only your fear (as evinced in your question/strawman) that interrupts this natural process.

17 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

That's a strawman, but since you ask yes; people don't choose to be forced from their homes, but when they get here <insert location> they improve here and it's only your fear (as evinced in your question/strawman) that interrupts this natural process.

My fear? LoL! Now that is a strawman! I just wanted a better understanding of your position:)

PS, I am of migrant descent

Edited by Scott of the Antares

45 minutes ago, Scott of the Antares said:

True! But we didn’t have borders and nations back then. So in your mind, there should be no such thing as illegal immigrants?

Were the Japanese "illegal immigrants" to the Ainu or Spanish "illegal immigrants" to the Aztec's? Seems to me all populations of people could have been considered illegal at one point or another. Wasn't the Alamo about the Mexican govt trying to remove illegal immigrants from Texas?

On 1/20/2018 at 9:12 PM, iNow said:

We’re arriving rapidly to a point in our society wherein if you’re not actively pushing back against racist alignments then you’re complicit in letting it grow and strengthen. 

I'd love the person who neg repped me for this January post step up and explain why. As it stands right now, my interpretation suggests it was little more than pure tribal feces flinging from someone who is probably themselves rather racist

Perhaps you can return and explain why my interpretation is wrong so I can continue to learn and improve myself?

48 minutes ago, NNY said:

Australia's economy survives on immigration.

Australia accepts about 200,000 immigrants a year, and this is what drives the Australian economy's growth. Without it, the country's economy wouldn't be so successful.

But Australian immigration policy is extremely regulated. Most of our immigrants are skilled workers, well educated or rich. And it isn't cheap to get citizenship. Most people spend about 10 to 20 thousand to get 4 year visa. Not too sure how much a permanent residency visa is though, is about $4,000 without a lawyers help, but more if a lawyer is employed.

Well done Australia, you've monetised humanity, what do you do with the leftovers?

3 minutes ago, iNow said:

I'd love the person who neg repped me for this January post step up and explain why. As it stands right now, my interpretation suggests it was little more than pure tribal feces flinging from someone who is probably themselves rather racist

Perhaps you can return and explain why my interpretation is wrong so I can continue to learn and improve myself?

I got one too, strangely at roughly the same time, this thread was exhumed. 

NNY is the most likely provider, then. Seems consistent with their style of posting and topic choices

31 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I got one too, strangely at roughly the same time

fixed

Edited by iNow

17 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Well done Australia, you've monetised humanity, what do you do with the leftovers?

The decisions made by the Australian Parliament are, in theory, representative of the general population.

"leftovers"?

In the past 13 years Australia has accepted about 174,000 refugees.

12 minutes ago, iNow said:

NNY is the most likely provider, then. Seems consistent with their style of posting and topic choices

fixed

My policy on reps is:

I only give positive reps.

I never given negative reps.

I just lost all my reps, but I'm fine with it. I hijacked the thread, unintentionally though, but I still hijacked it and suffered the consequences.

42 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

What about the ones Australia hasn't accepted, you know... the leftovers

The majority of your "leftovers" are given refugee status in Australia.

refugeestats.png

Held in overseas

ofshorestats.png.44681f97858f844141bf2ff3490a399f.png

Held in Australia

2018stats.png

Edited by NNY
current statistics

On 1/19/2018 at 7:49 PM, Phi for All said:

Again, I think white Americans take the emotional stance about immigrants, and in their minds they paint a picture of a family moving here, the husband goes to work at a factory while the wife sets up the house and kids, the husband works his way up by the sweat of his brow until he's the foreman, a man of respect and (limited) prestige. Gold watch, thanks much, job well done. Or you start your own business, work like a dog at it, ignore your family except to buy expensive things, and then sell the business and retire to some place warmer. Then these white Americans see brown people come over and do things differently. The immigrant family is probably extended, might live in a neighborhood far under their budget, but pools their wealth and, let's say, buys a convenience store, then two, then five. They work in shifts around the clock but always spend a lot of time together. They all become successful, they do exactly what any country wants its immigrants to do, yet they're resented because they come from elsewhere and don't do things the same as white Americans. 

Another problem for our immigrants is the general working class distrust of higher education. Often immigrants (even from poorer countries) have more extensive educations and special skill sets than the average working class American, creating more resentment. Working class Americans are feeling left out right now, that everyone else gets the breaks but them, even the immigrants. They feel they've done things right, but they don't qualify for assistance, and resent anyone who does get aid (because they must have done things WRONG). I can imagine it would be galling to compete for a job you're qualified for, against someone who is overqualified (by a LOT) but needs the job just as badly. I think blue-collar workers have been manipulated to mistrust heavily educated people. It keeps them from demanding better access to higher education. It keeps them paying their medical insurance and also keeps them from going to the doctor regularly. It keeps them ignorant and fearful, ready to trust the first person who seems to speak their language.

Reading this I had to think of how medieval people were afraid of Wizards and Witches summoning demons to bring the plague, foul their crops and cripple their cattle, and the church used the inquisition to reinforce these notions and keep them fearful way to better control them. 

15 minutes ago, YaDinghus said:

Reading this I had to think of how medieval people were afraid of Wizards and Witches summoning demons to bring the plague, foul their crops and cripple their cattle, and the church used the inquisition to reinforce these notions and keep them fearful way to better control them. 

You're conflating what religion has become with what politics always is...

14 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

You're conflating what religion has become with what politics always is...

I'm sorry, I must have miscommunicated. I posted this parallel that has sprung to my mind to illustrate the utter absurdity of the current immigration situation

Edited by YaDinghus

2 minutes ago, YaDinghus said:

I'm sorry, I must have miscommunicated. I posted this parallel that has sprung to my mind to illustrate the utter absurdity of the current immigration situation

No worries, probably my fault, I'm prone to mistakes.