Areas of overlap between Classical and Quantum models

I was a bit surprised to come across  what felt (perhaps naively) as QM terminology  used in the same sentence ( and context?) as GR  references in this recent post. (thread now closed).

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/112754-how-gravity-works/?do=findComment&comment=1033487

I know that Quantum Gravity is a work in progress (which I have no   understanding of) and so I assumed that GR and QM  were worlds apart in terms of compatibility.

So apparently they do "talk to one another" in some areas.Are there any areas that would be of particular interest to a layman? Concepts perhaps that both theories agree on?

30 minutes ago, geordief said:

" Its a result of interparticle field interactions"  perhaps.Would that  be QM terminology ?

Two charged particles interacting classically would fit that description. Each behaving according to the field of the other.

30 minutes ago, geordief said:

Might this part of the post indicate that both GR and QM  have things to say on time dilation and are in agreement?

We have relativistic quantum mechanical theories, which incorporate special relativity.

The QM-GR conflict happens at the level of the Planck scale. That's where a quantum theory of gravitation is needed, and does not yet exist. In most situations, AFAIK, QM just ignores GR, as any gravitational interactions are too weak to worry about.

7 hours ago, swansont said:

Two charged particles interacting classically would fit that description. Each behaving according to the field of the other.

We have relativistic quantum mechanical theories, which incorporate special relativity.

The QM-GR conflict happens at the level of the Planck scale. That's where a quantum theory of gravitation is needed, and does not yet exist. In most situations, AFAIK, QM just ignores GR, as any gravitational interactions are too weak to worry about.

Thanks.

Swansont did an excellent job answering this question. I would just like to add that I am glad to see you take the time to ask questions on my posts. Far too often I am forced to describe very complex topics as simple as possible. In many cases I end up forgetting to add essential details or go a little too heuristic. 

No worries I would rather people question my posts than simply accept them verbatim. How else does everyone learn lol. 

Its a common misconception that GR and QM are incompatible as mentioned above by Swansont QM does involve though when it includes GR involves a large body of particles sufficient to have messurable effect

Edited by Mordred