Finger Pointing Debating

Raider5678

Poll  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like debating politics?

• Didn't enjoy it before, I don't enjoy it now.
    • Enjoyed it before, I don't enjoy it now.
    • Didn't enjoy it before, I still enjoy it now.
    • Enjoyed it before, I still enjoy it now.

17 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

let's all start moving beyond the labels. When we point a finger it means at least three are pointed back at ourselves.

Pfft. That’s exactly what a liberal would say 

28 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

I've always hated that phrase. 

12 minutes ago, iNow said:

Pfft. That’s exactly what a liberal would say 

I debated adding it because it's hackneyed from overuse, a trite expression that only lends itself because of its popular traditional appeal.

So now it's a conservative phrase. ;)

4 minutes ago, zapatos said:

You are right, with respect to rangerx anyway. His behavior has been appalling. I almost called him out in the other thread but held my tongue.

To be fair, it was probably half my fault anyway.

I should have held my tongue, like you, and let it go.

14 hours ago, Raider5678 said:

3. It was actually a generalized statement. Almost everyone has opinions on topics they know absolutely nothing about. Me, and you included.

In the movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" there's a scene where Butch is complaining about robbing people in the jungle He says something along the lines of "Kid, I got a right to my opinion, and in my opinion, there are snakes in the jungle."

The thing is, the presence of snakes is not an opinion, it is one of fact, and that can either be supported or refuted. The opinion is how he feels about snakes.

A problem we run into in politics is when people think they can have an opinion on whether there are snakes in the jungle.

15 hours ago, Lord Antares said:

Still, politics is one of the least productive popular activities you could dabble in. Objectively speaking.

Perhaps the impact that politics has on many (almost all?) aspects of our life make involvement in it important.

Perhaps the sacrifices of those who fought for universal suffrage merit us more than dabbling in the arena.

Perhaps the political character of the behaviour of all primates, man included, require we invest time in politics.

Perhaps the only way to improve the condition and future of individuals, nations and society is to be committed to political activity.

Perhaps  . . . .

3 hours ago, Area54 said:

Perhaps  . . . .

Perhaps otherwise intelligent folks choosing to refrain from political engagement is part of what causes us so many of these seemingly intractable problems to unnecessarily persist.

<adding, not subtracting from your other great points>

Edited by iNow