generating electricity with fusion explosives

trevorjohnson32

Two methods for generating electricity with explosives:

Method 1

Step 1: Build a cavity in the ground ten times as deep as it is wide. The deeper the cavity the more you increase the efficiency of the system to a point. 

Step 2: Line the bottom 10% of the cavity with steel

Step 3: operate a turbine generator by lowering water weight from the top of the cavity to the bottom and dumping the water in the cavity.

Step 4: Once the cavity is about 10-15% full of water a fusion explosive is detonated near the bottom of the pool of water. The water is cleared out of the cavity and caught inside a loop connected to and situated on the ground at the top of the cavity that eliminates exposure to radiation and allows for the weight to circulate to burn off any extra momentum energy it has.

Step 5: The process is repeated So that the system can be re used.

One could build several cavity's around one loop and use fusion lasers to set off the explosive. I estimate through experiments that this system could be 10-20% efficient from just the weight displacement . You could also gather heat out of this system As the water circulating through it would heat up over time.

Method 2

Step 1: Cut into the ground with a saw or laser and create a single piece of earth in a 4,000 foot cube shape. 

Step 2: Detonate an explosive under the pre cut cube so that the force of the explosive pushes the piece from the ground. 

Step 3: once the cavity is created, the very large piece of earth that has been removed can operate a turbine being broken apart and lowered back into the cavity.

I have proven that both these experiments work with fireworks and am working on a youtube video. I made efficiency estimates based on a surface crater created by the same firework. Method 1 could be 10-85% efficient and the method 2 from 4-10% efficiency.  Also a fusion explosive is going to release up to 630 times the energy it takes to refine the fuel. I have reference for that.

Edited by trevorjohnson32

Why on earth would anyone want to go to such ridiculous measures to generate electricity, when there are far simpler easier, cheaper and safer ones that the politicians won't let us use now?

And by the way what is a "fusion laser" ?

Edited by studiot

On 1/9/2018 at 2:28 PM, trevorjohnson32 said:

Two methods for generating electricity with explosives:

Method 1

Step 1: Build a cavity in the ground ten times as deep as it is wide. The deeper the cavity the more you increase the efficiency of the system to a point. 

Step 2: Line the bottom 10% of the cavity with steel

Step 3: operate a turbine generator by lowering water weight from the top of the cavity to the bottom and dumping the water in the cavity.

Step 4: Once the cavity is about 10-15% full of water a fusion explosive is detonated near the bottom of the pool of water. The water is cleared out of the cavity and caught inside a loop connected to and situated on the ground at the top of the cavity that eliminates exposure to radiation and allows for the weight to circulate to burn off any extra momentum energy it has.

Step 5: The process is repeated So that the system can be re used.

One could build several cavity's around one loop and use fusion lasers to set off the explosive. I estimate through experiments that this system could be 10-20% efficient from just the weight displacement . You could also gather heat out of this system As the water circulating through it would heat up over time.

Method 2

Step 1: Cut into the ground with a saw or laser and create a single piece of earth in a 4,000 foot cube shape. 

Step 2: Detonate an explosive under the pre cut cube so that the force of the explosive pushes the piece from the ground. 

Step 3: once the cavity is created, the very large piece of earth that has been removed can operate a turbine being broken apart and lowered back into the cavity.

I have proven that both these experiments work with fireworks and am working on a youtube video. I made efficiency estimates based on a surface crater created by the same firework. Method 1 could be 10-85% efficient and the method 2 from 4-10% efficiency.  Also a fusion explosive is going to release up to 630 times the energy it takes to refine the fuel. I have reference for that.

My idea would be to create a giant fusion reactor at a safe distance from the earth, perhaps on the order of 100,000,000 miles and use collectors to convert the radiant energy into electricity.

42 minutes ago, Butch said:

My idea would be to create a giant fusion reactor at a safe distance from the earth, perhaps on the order of 100,000,000 miles and use collectors to convert the radiant energy into electricity.

!

Moderator Note

This thread is for discussing trevorjohnson32's idea. There was no invitation for discussion of alternatives, hence this is hijacking. IOW,  your idea should only be discussed in its own thread.

17 minutes ago, studiot said:

Like Hydroelectricity.

Yes, of course. Governments around the world have banned the use of hydroelectric power. How could we not have noticed.

(Although, hydroelectric has a much worse safety record than nuclear so maybe they should.)

41 minutes ago, trevorjohnson32 said:

10% world energy comes from dams.

38 minutes ago, Strange said:

Yes, of course. Governments around the world have banned the use of hydroelectric power. How could we not have noticed.

(Although, hydroelectric has a much worse safety record than nuclear so maybe they should.)

Only a paltry 10%.

Where I live they are currently building what will be the most expensive building ever built anywhere on Earth by a very large margin.

It will nearly 20 years to complete.

It will produce the most expensive electricity ever produced in the UK, guaranteed by politicians.

The design life is 30 years, the decommissioning life is 300 years.

Yet it will  produce less than 20% of the electricity annually compared to  a full alternative hydroelectric scheme at the same location, which would take 1/10 the time to build at less than 1/10th the cost. Additionally the hydro scheme could include a freecauseway instead of a high security zone.

Not political?

A few years ago I stood in Ballycastle and looked at the finger post towards Scotland, over enough water to power all of Western Europe.

Where is the vision?

Edited by studiot

While the OP's designs are wouldn't work because of cleanup costs and speed of repetition (but would work in Dwarf Fortress), #1 is pretty similar to Inertial Confinement Fusion Wikipedia.  Squish a small pellet until it fuses, extract the heat into water, use that to drive a turbine, repeat the cycle many times a second. Steps 2 & 4 are the problems right now. You need to confine the plasma without damaging the container, and extract the energy somehow without letting the plasma escape. And you have to repeatedly and automatically get a new pellet into the exact right spot within a um or so, in only a few ms.