Woodworking: Amateurs, Craftsmen, & In-Between

iNow

5 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Would marine plywood be better?

I’m unfamiliar with it, but super sharp tools / blades and test cuts performed on scrap pieces where you “sneak up” on perfection are good rules of thumb. Cut longer than needed, then dial it in slowly on scrap pieces… maybe even twice… before committing to the final cut on your actual workpiece. Good luck!

Edit to add: In fairness, I tend to think ALL miters are hard and prefer avoiding them :) 

• 3 months later...

At our age it is getting difficult to find good birthday presents for my wife.

This year I remembered here great grandfather's garden bench, which was in a sorry state.

aswas.thumb.jpg.8ea4a23fd7e3c241763f83c3948670fd.jpg

I promised to restore it for her birthday.

Work in progress showing the grit blasted and repainted metalwork, some partly finished extended new oak slats.

bench3.thumb.jpg.46bac36061a1e5b85face86d45142e26.jpg

The finished article reassembled.

finished.thumb.jpg.55c334680d923304dbe944c6d85a7a09.jpg

23 minutes ago, studiot said:

At our age it is getting difficult to find good birthday presents for my wife.

This year I remembered here great grandfather's garden bench, which was in a sorry state.

aswas.thumb.jpg.8ea4a23fd7e3c241763f83c3948670fd.jpg

I promised to restore it for her birthday.

Work in progress showing the grit blasted and repainted metalwork, some partly finished extended new oak slats.

bench3.thumb.jpg.46bac36061a1e5b85face86d45142e26.jpg

The finished article reassembled.

finished.thumb.jpg.55c334680d923304dbe944c6d85a7a09.jpg

Super job! I love seeing old furniture made new again! 😃

• 2 weeks later...

Built a climbing wall with my son this weekend. For him not me. If it was for me it would be called a "falling" wall. 😁

Designed it in three sections which are bolted together so that it can be disassembled when they decide to move.

65075738926__A7042847-CFB9-48BF-9FB8-D79BC0E63304.thumb.jpeg.b8f8bc7903d8945eb1cacf018f427933.jpeg

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

Built a climbing wall with my son this weekend

I LOVE this!! My wife has been talking about me building one for our kids, but it’s been intimidating me a bit as a project so I’m dragging my feet. Seeing one done like this and so cleanly makes me think it’s totally doable. Really nice job guys!

Did you attach it to the back wall in any way, or is it fully supported by the A-frame (for lack of a better word)?

Edited by iNow

5 hours ago, zapatos said:

Built a climbing wall with my son this weekend. For him not me. If it was for me it would be called a "falling" wall. 😁

Designed it in three sections which are bolted together so that it can be disassembled when they decide to move.

Looks good, +1.

Perhaps I could suggest cutting a toothed rack into the raking supports for the MKII ?

Then you could adjust the rake of the wall, although it already looks prety fearsome.

15 hours ago, iNow said:

I LOVE this!! My wife has been talking about me building one for our kids, but it’s been intimidating me a bit as a project so I’m dragging my feet. Seeing one done like this and so cleanly makes me think it’s totally doable. Really nice job guys!

Did you attach it to the back wall in any way, or is it fully supported by the A-frame (for lack of a better word)?

Thanks iNow! It is not attached to the back wall and is fully supported by the A-frame. Since it is for adults it is made almost entirely of 2x6s and 3/4" birch plywood. Needless to say it weighs a ton. I couldn't get any rocking going when pushing from the side.

My son is now talking about framing in the inside of the "A" so that his young daughter can climb too when she gets a bit stronger. A vertical wall will make it much easier for her.

11 hours ago, studiot said:

Looks good, +1.

Perhaps I could suggest cutting a toothed rack into the raking supports for the MKII ?

Then you could adjust the rake of the wall, although it already looks prety fearsome.

Thanks studiot! That's a great idea about making it adjustable. Since it is bolted everywhere I could just add more bolt holes in the rakers. Then to adjust just pull the bolt, change wall pitch, and put bolt in new hole. I love changes that are easy to implement. 😁

• 2 months later...

Yeah, that's a very common and useful trick... mixing CA glue with sanding dust. Great filler that tends to always match the material in that area. Same can be done with standard wood glue and sanding dust, in fact. Biggest issue of concern is it won't always take stain the same way as the surrounding area and sometimes looks different when finished with oils or polys, etc. 

If you do use the CA glue method, you can really speed things up with a quick spray of accelerator after the sanding. There's also a product from a company called Starbond where it's colored CA glue and comes in black and brown... which is really handy for filling small cracks and gaps like this. 

Edited by iNow

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, iNow said:

I feel attacked by Stumpy Nubs! I try to avoid using screws and nails on anything that’s not a simple jig or shop piece. 😂 

"I feel attacked by Stumpy Devs! I try to avoid using interpreted languages, recursion and things that leads to stack overflow and anything that’s not a high tech.. 😂 "

ps. Sorry for OT, I could not resist to paraphrase you.. ;)

ps2. I hear a lot of devs who after hearing the problem, answer "find a library that will do it" (instead of writing something themselves)... It's funny/weird (especially even) if the problem is trivial and can be solved faster by handwriting than by learning how to use a third-party library..

Edited by Sensei

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I know this one is a bit of a stretch as a "woodworking" project, but I did have to make the base out of wood. 😁

I am going to be a grandfather again, the first grandchild that is a boy, and the parents are decorating his room in a space motif. So I found plans for this lamp and made it. Pretty simple and I think WAY cool! 😀

791492913_ScreenShot2021-12-09at12_14_10PM.thumb.png.2fb183e8f75b28527bf00053e8d0760f.png

Edited by zapatos

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

Okay, I know this one is a bit of a stretch as a "woodworking" project, but I did have to make the base out of wood. 😁

I am going to be a grandfather again, the first grandchild that is a boy, and the parents are decorating his room in a space motif. So I found plans for this lamp and made it. Pretty simple and I think WAY cool! 😀

791492913_ScreenShot2021-12-09at12_14_10PM.thumb.png.2fb183e8f75b28527bf00053e8d0760f.png

I like your two mates!

As someone who went through a sculpture phase that involved plumbing parts and misc. metal stuff, I really dig this lamp.  The room is pleasant, too, though I would have heart arrhythmia if our coffee table was ever that uncluttered.  The spouse likes her teetering piles.

Plus one.

55 minutes ago, TheVat said:

As someone who went through a sculpture phase that involved plumbing parts and misc. metal stuff, I really dig this lamp.  The room is pleasant, too, though I would have heart arrhythmia if our coffee table was ever that uncluttered.  The spouse likes her teetering piles.

Plus one.

Thanks! Although to be fair, I pushed all the magazines off the end table so I had a spot to place the lamp. 😁

The bulbs that represent the flames also flicker so it gives a nice effect. 

Awesome work! I also love that you did a panel glue up for the base. Red oak and black walnut?

Ive made a bunch of end grain cutting boards as gifts for the holidays out of maple, mahogany, and hickory. Also just finished a new hat and coat rack in black walnut in our entry, a live edge river table for the living room, and working on a sitting bench with shoe storage now. 

25 minutes ago, iNow said:

Awesome work! I also love that you did a panel glue up for the base. Red oak and black walnut?

Ive made a bunch of end grain cutting boards as gifts for the holidays out of maple, mahogany, and hickory. Also just finished a new hat and coat rack in black walnut in our entry, a live edge river table for the living room, and working on a sitting bench with shoe storage now. 

Thanks iNow! Good call on the woods! Exactly right. 

Damn you've been busy. You are probably also collecting new tools as you go along. That's one of my favorite parts about new projects. 😁

33 minutes ago, zapatos said:

You are probably also collecting new tools as you go along.

Indeed, probably too many :) 

8 hours ago, zapatos said:

I did have to make the base out of wood. 

I’m curious how you did the grooves… maybe a straight cut bit in the router, or even a Dremel tool perhaps? They give it such a cool feeling of movement.