post herpetic neuralgia

I had my second dose of shingles some 3 or 4 years ago.The phn that followed,while not excruciating was  annoyingly persistent

It would fade only to represent .

At the time I think I assumed that the older you were the longer it would take to ease

I also learned there is a statistically higher risk of stroke in the  years following on so possibly there may be attention given to that possibility also and perhaps measures taken if that would be a concern.

Shingles itself cannot be completely extirpated from the system .I think it is introduced when we get the Measles and thereafter hides in the nervous system in a dormant state

Edited by geordief

4 minutes ago, geordief said:

That's true.I always get Measles,Chicken pox and Smallpox muddled up.

That's probably because one usually got the first two when they used to be epidemic. All the stuff we used to take to take for granted that we would get. You could say that chickenpox is as bad as measles if you get shingles. I would think that's not very nice.

23 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

That's probably because one usually got the first two when they used to be epidemic. All the stuff we used to take to take for granted that we would get. You could say that chickenpox is as bad as measles if you get shingles. I would think that's not very nice.

No , very severe..Because I was sure you could not get it twice and because I hate going to the doctor (and it being a weekend) I was a bit late getting diagnosed .

It was a good week in  hospital albeit with my own room so as not to communicate the illness to other patients.

I felt weak walking out and onto the bus back home but soon picked up.