How do you say deoxyribose nucleic acid?

Bio-Hazard

come on, just sound it out. ;p

honestly, i have no idea how you're trying to pronounce it right now. Try a more standard pronunciation guide. I can tell you one thing though- 'sss' is never a syllable by itself.

No, it is not strictly a sugar, as sugars are carbohydrates that contain only C, H and O. Sucralose is made by chlorinating sucrose, which is the sugar in table sugar. Sucralose is trademarked as Splenda.

apostrophies seperate sylables, underlines indicate emphasis, dash = draw end of sylable out, and . = slight pause inbetween sylables:

dee'ox'ee'rI'bow'new'clay'ic.a'sid

" rI " is pronounsed as a soft 'eye' with a short, lower-case 'r' sound at the beginning, hence rI (or r eye, i suppose), as in riot or bride (not as in rib or frisbee)

its normaly broken down into 4 'bits' when spoken: 'deoxy ribo nucleic acid', although iv heard it said with more emphasis on, and an elongation of, the 'rI' bit of ' rI'bow ' , with a little gap in before the 'bow', like this:

deoxy ri-bo nucleic acid

or

dee'ox'ee'rI--.bow'new'clay'ic.a'sid

or you could just pronounce it dee.en.ay :P

I thought that any (most?) chemicals that end in -ose are sugars. So fructose is a sugar, right? So Bio-Hazard is correct in calling sucralose "sugar" but by not using "a" or "table" in front of sugar, he was being ambiguous.

• 2 weeks later...

dee ock see rai bau noo klay ick ass idd

Is better than Aluminium: "aloo min um" (American) vs "aloo min ee um" (English) and the letter "Z".

Countries have gone to war for less, you know...

;-p

sucralose.JPG

(Image taken from pubChem Project)

As you can see sucralose is a modified form of sucrose with Cl in place of 3 hydroxyl groups. This prevents it from being metabolised.

Also it can no longer be considered a suger, as was pointed out by Moleke, since it no longer contains JUST C,O, and H.

Actually I think it would work. Though you'd get salt water with sucrose in it.

If you put it in solution, first the sodium will react with the H20 (assuming a large excess of water) to give you NaOH (evolving hydrogen which would ignite instantly) which would react to give you sucrose plus NaCl.

So you'd get salty sweet water. ;)

Lol there is plenty of carbon Silly.

In Organic Chemistry at every point where two black lines meet there is a carbon atom, plus if there is a line with no indicated atom on the end there is a carbon there.

So if you count there are 12 carbon atoms total.

On a side note once all the chlorine was used up the NaOH would start reacting with the sucrose to produce a Sodium sucrate salts, but there is already a post on that so I wont go into it.

• 4 weeks later...