Charge and magnetic moment of an electron.

Butch

The magnetic moment is given by g(-e/2m)L where g is the g-factor (related to the gyromagnetic ratio), and L is the angular momentum. L can be orbital and/or spin angular momentum, so an electron has an inherent magnetic moment owing to its spin.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 7:08 PM, Butch said:

How do they relate? If velocity increases magnetic moment, is charge affected?(Lenz's law).

I apologise for not making my inquiry clear, however it has festered and come into better focus...

Consider the following:

aviary-image-1515800229895-600x1750.thumb.jpeg.9e825301100dbeeb7740a1d385d7af2a.jpeg

Electron A has velocity that produces magnetic moment n1, electron B has velocity that produces magnetic moment n2.

Would the force between A and B be greater than that stated in Coulomb's law?

If not why?

On 1/1/2018 at 2:19 PM, Strange said:

It doesn't, does it?

Hmm, it was my understanding that it did, perhaps I should reread?

On 1/1/2018 at 11:08 AM, swansont said:

The magnetic moment is given by g(-e/2m)L where g is the g-factor (related to the gyromagnetic ratio), and L is the angular momentum. L can be orbital and/or spin angular momentum, so an electron has an inherent magnetic moment owing to its spin.

Okay, if it is orbital L would that not affect the force between particles?

Velocity does not produce the magnetic moment. It will produce a magnetic field, as would any moving charge.

2 hours ago, Butch said:

Okay, if it is orbital L would that not affect the force between particles?

Yes, and it would be responsible for a small shift in the energy levels of the atom.

13 hours ago, swansont said:

Velocity does not produce the magnetic moment. It will produce a magnetic field, as would any moving charge.

Yes, and it would be responsible for a small shift in the energy levels of the atom.

Thank you.