Time Does Not Exist

EdwinParker

On 12/12/2017 at 3:33 PM, EdwinParker said:

https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-09/book-excerpt-there-no-such-thing-time   I was kicked out of a physics forum for saying what this Popular Science article says.  I said time does not exist, only the human act of timing.  All that exists are matter and energy moving faster or slower relative to one another.  The moderator argued with me and got meaner and meaner and finally kicked me out.

I doubt it is as you actually say...there are always two sides to each story.

In my own words and lay person's description, let me say that time is real...it stops everything from happening together...just as space is real and stops everything from being in the same spot. Which leads us to the concept of spacetime which is also real. Or to put that in more scientific elaborate terms, spacetime can be described as a  "unified" framework within which we locate events and describe the relationships between them in terms of spatial coordinates and time. The concept of spacetime follows from the observation that the speed of light is invariant, i.e. it does not vary with the motion of the emitter or the observer. Spacetime allows a description of reality that is common for all observers in the universe regardless of their motion. Your space is your space...your time is your time and may differ to mine. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVINOl0Ctfk

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2017 at 4:33 AM, EdwinParker said:

https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-09/book-excerpt-there-no-such-thing-time   I was kicked out of a physics forum for saying what this Popular Science article says.  I said time does not exist, only the human act of timing.  All that exists are matter and energy moving faster or slower relative to one another.  The moderator argued with me and got meaner and meaner and finally kicked me out.

How does matter and energy move at all, without time? And what does faster or slower mean? The clue is in the question. :)

On 12/12/2017 at 5:33 AM, EdwinParker said:

I have just read the linked article. A bit of a waste of time. Once you strip away the pop-sci sensationalism, Barbour appears to be describing general relativity: all moments of time have equal existence. 

49 minutes ago, Thorham said:

The real question is if time exists physically as 'stuff', or is an effect like evolution.

Neither, there are other possibilities.

Mordred is fond of saying that space is nothing more than volume for things to exist in.

In similar manner time may be considered as nothing more than the arena for change to exist in.

34 minutes ago, studiot said:

Neither, there are other possibilities.

Mordred is fond of saying that space is nothing more than volume for things to exist in.

In similar manner time may be considered as nothing more than the arena for change to exist in.

And volume can exist even if empty, so it would follow that time can exist with no change.