Threads for dummies

Is this site's software  equipped  for curtailing the length of posts in threads?

Would it be a good idea to have a subforum  where we would be guaranteed that posts and responses would be short and to the point?

I accept my own intellectual limitations are not shared by all and that detailed posts are  valuable and necessary but  could there be an advantage  to also providing for  exchanges where just one point (of maybe two) at a time would be  expressed?

1 hour ago, iNow said:

So, twitter threads?

Something like that.If  it was feasible I would also like to insist on proper grammar and spelling.

I wasn't thinking of a limit on character numbers so much as a limit on the amount of sentences or ideas if  possible.

Just now, Itoero said:

I tend to agree since I never read longer texts. But doesn't the length of posts depend on the subject of the thread?

You mean that there would be times when an artificial restraint  on length would be too constraining and  make the exchanges dissatisfying?

4 hours ago, geordief said:

Is this site's software  equipped  for curtailing the length of posts in threads?

No.

Would it be a good idea to have a subforum  where we would be guaranteed that posts and responses would be short and to the point?

Instead say, "Want quick-read threads? Vote YES!"

I accept my own intellectual limitations are not shared by all and that detailed posts are  valuable and necessary but  could there be an advantage  to also providing for  exchanges where just one point (of maybe two) at a time would be  expressed?

l personally dislike the idea. Forcing science discussions to be short goes against the nuanced and layered information structure of most explanations of natural phenomena. This is exactly why pop-sci articles cause as much trouble as they do to spur interest in the sciences. An explanation or argument should take as long as it takes. I think we already have a Quick Question thread for simple answers. I'm not sure what the objective is for a whole subforum of it, but if it attracts those who can't be bothered to read details, it sounds like it will mostly be good for dragging our reputation down as a serious science discussion site.

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

I'm not sure what the objective is for a whole subforum of it, but if it attracts those who can't be bothered to read details, it sounds like it will mostly be good for dragging our reputation down as a serious science discussion site.

I agree with this. Plus it would be a nightmare to enforce.

3 hours ago, geordief said:

I would also like to insist on proper grammar and spelling.

So what is the punishment if I put my comma in the wrong place?

Maybe find us a dunce avatar and make the offending party wear it for a week.:)

3 hours ago, Outrider said:

So what is the punishment if I put my comma in the wrong place?

Maybe find us a dunce avatar and make the offending party wear it for a week.:)

I wondered if it could be done automatically(ie posting in those threads would not be allowed if those criteria were not fulfilled) but Phi said no, this site would not be set up for that.

9 hours ago, geordief said:

Something like that.If  it was feasible I would also like to insist on proper grammar and spelling.

I wasn't thinking of a limit on character numbers so much as a limit on the amount number of sentences or ideas if  possible.