KNO3 Out Of HNO3?

olmpiad

I was just wondering...Since HNO3 is made from KNO3, would it be possible to do the opposite (HNO3 To KNO3)?

Easy: Add KOH to HNO3.

KOH + HNO3 --> KNO3 + H2O

If you intend to do this, be careful. It is a VERY exothermic and violent reaction, especially if solid KOH and concentrated acid are used.

Of course, doing this is a waste of chems. KNO3 is much easier to obtain than HNO3, so normally one does not waste his/her HNO3 on a reaction like this.

the Above is the sort of post that will earn you a Hazardous Material warning, we do NOT Encourage that sort of behaviour here, and anyone that does is in Violation.

Off topic: Yeah, we seem to be getting quite a few of these type of people lately....

On topic: could you use any potassium salt?

On topic: could you use any potassium salt?

It has to be a base to react with the nitric acid. So potassium hydroxide, potassium carbonate, or potassium bicarbonate would be the ones you would want to use.

Like YT said, the latter two are excellent because they give a visual indication of the reaction being finished (the release of CO2 stopping).

Well, I wasnt refering to you specifically. I am a pyro, and I dont deny it. However, there is a difference between pyrotechnics and explosives. And I only play with fire outside, in a safe area (ie firepit) and with nothing explosive.

i violated a code yet you tell people how to make nitrogen triodide?

this link shows the moderator here telling some other people how to ignite thermite and you warned me for hinting on uses for nitric acid?

hey yo invadar gir everyone enjoys a big bang ever so often its not like ima pyro

Punctuation?

Capital letters? (broken shift key? :confused:)

Quotes (ima -> I'm a)?

Please use normal language. Let's keep the level of this forum acceptable. If you want some respect' date=' then [i']show [/i] some respect by formulating your sentences correctly and being not too lazy to press the shift key on your keyboard!

Sorry for you weldermanx that you happen to be the victim of my griefs ;). This message is directed to every member of this forum who does not use acceptable language.

Sorry my typing grammar comes from a year on AIM and i type horribly when im angry and fustrated.

Hydrofluoric acid?.. its a glass cleaner and you know it, you can buy it from some janitorial stores. The cleaner contains HF and water, thats all, and concentrating it is easy. I needed the acid for a test for shock quartz. i accidentally knocked a bottle over when i walked past. It was mistake. Anyway the acid happened to be on the table for about 8 hours so back off

P.S. By the way im sorry for the grammar, my English teacher would skin me for writing like that, lol

YT2095 DID NOT in any way encourage or promote the use of thermite! And besides, thermite isn't explosive... btw Where ARE the photos of your shadow on the wall?

But anyway, couldn't you just use phenolphtalein to indicate when all the KOH and HNO3 is neutralized?

couldn't you just use phenolphtalein to indicate when all the KOH and HNO3 is neutralized?

certainly, in fact there`s any number of PH indicators that can be used in a simple titration like this :)

edit: as an afterthought, if you intend on doing this reaction, it`s often policy to leave the final product on the side of Acidic. the reason being that Nitric acid or Hydrochloric acid are easily driven off afterwards by evaporation when you crystalise your soln. it doesn`t work with ALL acids (Sulphuric or phosphoric for instance) but since the KOH is a solid, you`ll never get rid of it easily, and so you`ll end up with a contaminated batch, and titration is never 100% accurate, so go the excess acid route :)

Shadows burned on the wall are just barely plausible. Try this experiment: Hold a piece of paper in front of the flash of an ordinary camera. Some cameras are powerful enough to actually darken the paper. Put your hand in front of the same flash and do the same thing. It doesn't hurt, although you might feel a tingle, and it will take multiple flashes to cause any kind of damage. This is because the water content of flesh makes it much harder to heat than paper, like the paper that might be covering a wall.

It is just barely plausible given just the right conditions that someone could have their shadow burned into the wall without getting hurt. The eyes are a little bit iffy, but I've never heard of anyone being permanently blinded by a camera flash from close range. It isn't funny to try to test something like that.

I know, I may ramble on a bit much but that was hard to resist, seeing as I have had actual physical evidence by actual experiment. Of course we could take the "burned my shadow into the wall" as permissible hyperbole, too.

try it just wear arc-welding goggles.. in fact i think the arc itself might work.. ive noticed a darkened portion of wall after a while of arc welding in one position. also i dont believe the shadow was burned on as much as the surrounding spanse of wall was "sun bleached" if thats the correct term.