Walking with Caveman

Anyone see the show last night?

It was pretty interesting. They seemed to imply that there is no longer a "missing link". Is this the case?

I was also suprised to learn that there were more than one species of huminoid like creatures throughout history. Some made it, others didn't. When it was all said and done, we (humans-Homo-Sapiens) were the only ones left.

Except for you Big-Foot believeres perhaps. :rolleyes:

CHUPACABRA!

If you mean that dire production spawned by the BBC, I'd recommend you take it all with a vast pinch of salt. Presenting speculation as fact and showing some guys in bad monkey suits like the beginning of 2001 is not my idea of good science programming.

I think the use of the term 'cavemen' in the title told us all what sort of content we could expect.

I don't think there's been a missing link for ages, although we don't actually have all the relationships of the fossils we do have definitely sorted out.

Actually I thought the program was pretty good when it was shown in the UK. OK, OK, it was a little sensationalist, perhaps some of the custumes were a little "white" and some of the evidence is speculative, but not too bad overall. They did present most of the relationships between the species well. I do agree that some of the speculation was a little over the top and the use of the words "It is thought..." would have gone a long way to seperate out the speculation from fact.

I think this kind of program is not aimed at those who already know and have an interest in human evolution, but at those who know nothing about it....to that end I think it fulfilled it's purpose - to get people interested.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Meatros

I wasn't aware of any missing links either. I caught the program a while back and i thought it was an interesting primer.

In any event, here's a picture of 'links'.

timeline.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

TV like this was never made to be pure academic material. It does, however, become a good primer for those who want to learn more. If anything it inspires the young to learn.

I do not see any problems with it as a result.

As for taking it with a pinch of salt... of course you do... but I would suggest you do the same with the info you are force fed at university.