Benefits of marriage to women

mad_scientist

If married women live longer than single women but married women who marry younger men with significant age gaps in between live shorter lives relative to married women who marry slightly older men, how big does the gap between husband (being the younger one) and wife (being the older one) have to be in age for the benefits of being married for women to be equivalent as with single unmarried women?

You have these absurd questions about marriage that I'm starting to think aren't all that hypothetical. 

The way you think about marriage is ridiculous and trust me, if you keep thinking like this, you will be happy to get away with any marriage at all, let alone your weirdly specific perfectionist marriage that you wish you get the "most benefit" out of.

19 hours ago, mad_scientist said:

No. I think it's just good general knowledge every citizen of the planet should have.

How does a question beginning with "if", and therefore presumably completely hypothetical, count as "good general knowledge"?

Even if there were any basis for your bizarro speculations, I can't imagine who would be interested. 

10 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Also, all these threads show a disturbing lack of understanding what correlations are.

Ditto sources/references for the assertions they are based on.

18 hours ago, Lord Antares said:

You have these absurd questions about marriage that I'm starting to think aren't all that hypothetical. 

The way you think about marriage is ridiculous and trust me, if you keep thinking like this, you will be happy to get away with any marriage at all, let alone your weirdly specific perfectionist marriage that you wish you get the "most benefit" out of.

I need another coffee.

On 11/26/2017 at 7:18 AM, mad_scientist said:

If married women live longer than single women but married women who marry younger men with significant age gaps in between live shorter lives relative to married women who marry slightly older men, how big does the gap between husband (being the younger one) and wife (being the older one) have to be in age for the benefits of being married for women to be equivalent as with single unmarried women?

This is why a single, unmediated correlation can be worse than uninformative.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediation_(statistics)