First Interstellar Asteroid Observed

Outrider

49 minutes ago, coffeesippin said:

The speculation that Oumuamua is less than a mm thick comes from the fact that it was accelerating away from the sun as if it may be a 'light sail.'  However, what if it is NOT a light sail but is self powered, or gathers power from Dark Matter or Dark Energy?  Regarding the tumbing .. how much artificial gravity in the form of centrifugal force would be created at the ends where perhaps some small beings might be housed? 

Yup you're right and thanks for correcting me.     I've had another thought about the acceleration and tumble, that if Oumuamua is artificial and under power (dark energy dark matter perhaps collected on the way) how much artificial gravity in the form of centrifugal force would be created in the ends by the tumble.  If beings are housed in the ends the 'gravity' might be created to make them more comfortable.   What if Omuamua slowed down radically to observe Earth in passing, and is speeding up to speeds we can't account for that would make interstellar travel for living beings possible?  

Even if we use the fastest estimated rotation rate and the longest estimated length, you only get the equivalent of ~4/1,000,000 of a g at the ends.

11 minutes ago, Janus said:

Even if we use the fastest estimated rotation rate and the longest estimated length, you only get the equivalent of ~4/1,000,000 of a g at the ends.

And if that's all those beings need?  We have to stop thinking of ourselves as what is acceptable.

11 hours ago, Strange said:

FTFY: There is speculation that it is artificial and would, in that case, be less than a millimetre thick. 

But there is no evidence nor measurement of this.

It's nice to be in a place than can add to my reading and writing skills.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.