ice bomb?

flyboy

freeze it not just cool it

like wen the bomb explodes it flash freezes averything in the blast radius killing everyliving thing.........would that be possible

"killing everyliving thing"......are you serious? I hope you don't get one answer.

Bettina

It would not be possible. In order to explode, something has to create gases in a very rapid fashion which cannot be contained by the container it's in. (An explosion is the rapid expansion of gases created during a chemical or physical reaction). Any reaction which produces a gas from a non-gaseous starting mixture will be exothermic. So in order to make it go 'KABOOM' you'd have to have a chemical reaction which would generate a lot of gas, but that reaction will also generate a ton of heat. There is no chemical reaction out there which can simultaneously occur which will cause the degree of a temperature change that you are asking about. (As the endothermic reaction would not only have to cool off the air and surrounding materials which are heated by the explosion, but it would also have to cool off everything in the area.

Not necessarily. I know this isn't the effect he wanted, but dry ice and 7-Up create alot of very cold gases that could give you frost bite. If you enclose those gases in a 7-Up bottle, it will explode and the cold gases will be released, though...I doubt that is what he wanted because the radius would be quite small to freeze things.

it violates the law of thermodynamics, it`s not possible.

what is cold? it`s the default state of everything, you`de need to remove heat (to somewhere), and since an explosion Provides Energy, it`s self contradictory.

you can`t ADD Cold, you can only take heat/energy away.

It is very possible. Have you googled yet? I am sure anything you ask can be found on google. I am not sure, but there might be something in The Anarchist CookBook (I hope I don't get in trouble for that).

I have to do my civic duty here everything I have seen out of this book is a total load of bullplop, you'd have a better chance at causing damage if you set that book on fire and threw it at something you would probably do more damage then following any recipies ive seen from that book.

it violates the law of thermodynamics, it`s not possible.

what is cold? it`s the default state of everything, you`de need to remove heat (to somewhere), and since an explosion Provides Energy, it`s self contradictory.

you can`t ADD Cold, you can only take heat/energy away.

Good point Yt. However could you have a chemical reaction that was so rapid and endothermic that it gave the impression of a cold explosion? Coldest at the centre and less cold towards the edge.

~Scott

it violates the law of thermodynamics' date=' it`s not possible.

you can`t ADD Cold, you can only take heat/energy away.[/quote']

As posted by refsmmat said, this requires a rapid and powerful endothermic reaction.

I can think of plenty of endothermic reactions, but I can't think of anything nearly rapid enough.

I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility, though.

that`s only from a chemistry standpoint though, and endothermic reactions Don`t Explode either. I`m considering it from a Physic viewpoint, and the words "Blast radius" implies input of energy to a system, NOT the removal of :)

that`s only from a chemistry standpoint though, and endothermic reactions Don`t Explode either. I`m considering it from a Physic viewpoint, and the words "Blast radius" implies input of energy to a system, NOT the removal of :)

Ok how about "effect radius" It would mimick a blast radius in that the effect would be most dramatic at the centre and less so as the radius increases. Any way foreget the lingo debate got any idea what chems could do this :D

~Scott

ok i looked somthin up on google and found that this is similiar to what happens to pipes in the winter

the water would freeze in the pipe till it reaches critical pressure then explodes but i dont know about the blast radius

i must experiment :D

What if you used a large tank of LN2 and dropped it from a plane?

The explosive decompression of the gas will draw a lot of heat out of the enviroment. Sure, it's not a truely chemical explosion, but it would be closer to the desired affect.

ok i looked somthin up on google and found that this is similiar to what happens to pipes in the winter

the water would freeze in the pipe till it reaches critical pressure then explodes but i dont know about the blast radius

i must experiment :D

Pipes don't explode from being frozen in winter. The water in them freezes, expands, splits the pipe open (more of a burst than an explosion) and the non-frozen water under pressure shoots out of the split in the pipe (which may seem like an explosion). There is no shrapnel, no blast radius (unless you count the water spraying out) and certainly no freezing of the surrounding area.

a simple Dewar flask containing liquid He with a No# 8 blasting taped to the side will do some of what you ask, however it doesn`t fit with your wording in post #3. and so that methodology is discounted.

• 2 weeks later...

'explosive' effects don't have to be exothermic. Its a question of what you include in the system under consideration. It is trivial to have a large container of say liquid nitrogen 'explode' and freeze all the surfaces it lands on. Just have a 'weak' or 'breakable' container ready to go, and a timer hooked up to an automobile airbag inside. That would make quite the anti-personnel weapon. Conversely, you could store the liquid air or whatever in a cast-iron container easily shattered, and along with the liquified gas have highly pressurized gas in non-liquid form in pouches or balloons. The gas would act as propellant, the liquid would freeze targets, and the container could efficiently produce dangerous shrapnel. People have made all kinds of 'home-made' bombs out of such materials.

But freezing is a very inefficient way to kill people, or even maim them. That's why you don't see such weapons on the battlefield everyday. Flying shrapnel or depleted uranium is more deadly. Just picture your typical terrorist, nattering in Arabic, (Translation: )

"Hand over the money, or I will freeze every flea in a 20 foot radius solid, and embrittle your eyebrows, capitalist dogs!"

take a few thousand gallons of liquid helium and pour it some where that should cause some serious flash freezing.

Hmmm. just thought there, if you used a lot of really cold liquid helium could you create a very low pressure area directly over it as the air is cooled down to condensation and then freezing? the contracting gas would cause stuff to be sucked in. You would probably need an whole sea full of liquid He for that though. thats an implosion and kind of the opposite of the OP's question.

• 1 month later...

Trees actually "explode" when it gets cold enough. Google it.

Perhaps explode isn't the correct term, though. Explosively shatter? It's not a true explosion.

Looking at the original question from an engineering standpoint, it'd really be rather easy. Have a very thin layer of highly insulating plastic holding a lot of liquid nitrogen, and then have a two-liter-bottle-esque-container (again, a very good insulator) in the middle filled with liquid helium and with a bit of water. Cap that. When the solid plastic container in the middle (with the liquid helium and the water) is filled with enough gaseous helium, it'll burst, breaking the surrounding sac of liquid nitrogen, and spraying the area with extremely coldness. Problem is, a lot of the liquid nitrogen would boil away long before hitting anything, and would therefore cause almost no damage.

Just a thought.