Moving away from Ubuntu.

radiohead

Hey guys,

I am planning on moving away from Ubuntu pretty soon. I am leaning towards Yoper as it boasts it was made specifically for i686's and that can't hurt :D . But, if the timing is right and I don't switch until about the time Longhorn comes out, I might go out, buy it, and test it out. I don't play alot of games, though I do go to a LAN about every 1-2 weeks to have some fun, but that's about it.

I would like some input from you guys on what operating system has been best for you. I do alot of programming in C and I host my own site on my comp. That's about all I do. I would prefer to stay with Linux, but if you have another suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Yeah, I do not like XP at all. It looks as if it was built for five year olds. 2000 is teh only Windows I do like. I was also putting Gentoo into consideration. I really don't have the 8 hours to install it though. I might give it a try though.

I have also heard many good things about FreeBSD. I might be putting that on my 5-gig hard drive for personal use. I keep that one with me wherever I go as it has alot of data on it I like to keep with me.

Slackware linux is the way to go' date=' man. Just look at my avatar.

Either that or Gentoo for power use. Maybe Debian too.

For Windows, 2000 is the only decent one and will run your occasional LAN game fine.[/quote']

Just to point out win 2k is being end of lifed soon...

Just out of interest why the move from ubuntu (I'd recommend ubuntu :s)

Mostly for a learning experience. I do like Ubuntu. I think it is one of the better and easier to understand Linux distros. But, I feel that there are probably other distros out there that have more to offer. Ubuntu is great for a fast and easy switch from Windows to Linux, but it is only a small percantage of what other distros have to offer, speed and flexibility wise.

If you want a learning experiance don't go for something like slackware, fedora, mandriva or linspire as they are supposed to be quite simple as well, if you've got lots of time gentoo is supposed to be fun, debian is a solid server os, I'd also say have a go at bsd if you want to have an experiance, never used it myself though.

After using ubuntu you might want to try using a differnt package sytem instead of debs.

Gentoo is the way to go if you've had some experience with Linux but would like a little more hands-on experience with some of the finer points. I run it on a number of boxen, and at least on the lower-spec machines it gives a fairly considerable speed improvement. I can whole-heartedly recommend it (as I have done on several other occasions :D).

If your really looking for something suited to you and something that will help you learn new things about various operating systems and computing in general, why not try something like Linux From Scratch. It wont necessarily be easy to update or continue with but you could probably introduce a package management system at a later point from one of the other popular distros.

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue49/misc/beekmans/LFS-HOWTO.html

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/whatislfs.html

I haven't actually done this myself but plan to give it a go at some point (probably on a VMWare partition until i find a new cheapy HD for it) as I feel it would be a good learning experience as you end up having to do pretty much everything yourself and you learn alot about the bits and bobs of a linux operating system and alot about how the linux and other operating systems work.

Also as dave said, gentoo is good :D (LOVE portage :D)

Hehe, most major problem ive had with portage is when the new ATI drivers didn't want to play nice with the new XOrg release and so i had to put an entry in package.mask and just wait until the ATI or XOrg releases were fixed to compensate (although portage was decent about it, it would unmerge the newer ATI drivers and replace with the old every other update so it was a case of "emerge new drivers" "unmerge new drivers" "emerge new drivers" etc, was quite funny).

Apart from portage itself though, you have to love the gentoo forums. Theres always a wealth of help available there (although i wish the search system was slightly better sometimes :P ).

Gah, don't even talk to me about ati-drivers. I've been wanting to play around with composite for a long, long time but because the ATI drivers suck so much I've just gone to xorg's default radeon driver. It looks rather pretty now, but I'd like to have DRI and soforth :-(

Just realised I've taken this thread rather off-topic as well.

Well for the ubuntu users i suggest the page, linuxisforbitches.com

i am (was or something alike) a slackware user.

In ubuntu you do not really apreciate the speed of linux and makes you a lazy and slow user. in the console in slackware i can configure up the net in 6 seconds including typing the command, in ubuntu-redhat-fedora-suse-madrake you would last about 3 seconds in searching in the menus for the net configuration utility. belive me, mouse is not a fast tool, it's just a little "comfortable".

I'd suggest FreeBSD, but that's just me

I'm recently moving to FreeBSD because, its more bold, and hell quick.

And supports plenty (most) linux appz.

• 2 weeks later...

Ubuntu does have kernels in their repositories for 686, k7, etc if you really want one geared for your specific processor. Doesn't hurt to test the waters and try others but I'm addicted to apt (as you can tell, I'm a debian whore) and I've yet to see a speed increase with other distros (have not tried gentoo though :P).

In my opinion, debian is probably the best large distro that truly embraces the spirit of free software. :cool: If you have an older machine, just throw a lightweight window manager on there, compiling your own stuff might give a slight peformance benefit...but if your hardware is truly old, you won't like the compile times :P