Homo Neanderthalensis

Hadi.A

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 6:01 PM, tuco said:

I think its fascinating subject, with a lot of research being published lately,  and since I have not much to say about it I rather listen. 28 000 years ago? That's a news I missed. 

In Gibraltar, fossils of Neandertals have been found dating back 28,000 years ago. At least, according to the sources I've been able to find, all of which are more than 8 years old. National Geographic from 2004 and Scientific American from 2009.

Heres a more recent article suggesting the fossils are closer to 32,000 years old.

https://phys.org/news/2017-09-dating-neanderthal-vindija-cave-older.html

Initial testing suggested the remains were approximately 28,000 to 29,000 years old. More recent tests have put them at 32,000 to 34,000 years old. Both time frames coincide with the arrival of modern humans into the area, keeping alive the theory that the two groups mixed, both physically and socially. But now, using what is being described as a more accurate technique, the group with this new effort has found that the remains are older than thought.