ExperimentalPhysicist

True Meaning of Life

True meaning of life is to expand, grow and make the world a little bit better for the next in line. Hopefully you're financially rich and having fun along the journey. Evolution + consciousness = humans. I believe being humans is the first level of consciousness. After you are out of your body, your new found and developed 'consciousness' goes into a more advanced being on some other planet perhaps. Hopefully you won't have to start off as a baby again.

16 minutes ago, Eric LeClair said:

True meaning of life is to expand, grow and make the world a little bit better for the next in line. Hopefully you're financially rich and having fun along the journey. Evolution + consciousness = humans. I believe being humans is the first level of consciousness. After you are out of your body, your new found and developed 'consciousness' goes into a more advanced being on some other planet perhaps. Hopefully you won't have to start off as a baby again.

Dude... are you smoking the same weed as me... sweet... bloody good trip... my brother... hang on... did I just say that :D

16 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Dude... are you smoking the same weed as me... sweet... bloody good trip... my brother... hang on... did I just say that :D

That's the internal dialog, here's the replies should it be an external dialog:  

Dude... Dude... Dude... DDDDUUUUDDDEEE... no, wait... what were we talking about :huh:

Posted (edited)
On 18/4/2018 at 1:53 PM, Pembroke said:

If intention does not arise from a point of consciousness in me, then it arises from some natural functioning of my brain, which in turn arose from a long natural process which pre-dates the human species. We could do one of two things: reorient the question about purpose to simply ask what is going on (both externally to and intentially within the human) or else remove the category of purpose from human action except as something like a convenient metaphor or an illusion.

We are the natural processes in our brain. There is no indication that there is anything about us beyond these natural processes. This means there is no difference between us making a decision or the natural processes making a decision, because those are simply the same.

There is also no conflict with free will. If we are determined (and there is no reason to assume we are not), we are determined to choose the things we want to choose. Our decision are the outcome of processes in our brain that take our preferences into account.

Edited by Bender

you put a very good question. i will try to answer your question. 

generally, the life is to live happily. my purpose on life is different from you. your purpose will be different from others. i said the purpose of life is to live happily and to achieve peace of mind. i am seeing the happiness in my purpose, and you are seeing the happiness in some angles. i need not accept your purpose and you need not accept my purpose. so, commonly we take what is the real purpose of life. That is the meaning of life. 

what is the purpose of life then ? The purpose of life constitutes a philosophical question concerning the purpose and significance of life or existence in general. This concept can be expressed through a variety of related questions, such as Why are we here?, What is life all about?, and What is the meaning of it all? It has been the subject of much philosophical, scientific, and theological speculation throughout history. There have been a large number of answers to these questions from many different cultural and ideological backgrounds. 

A person's life has purpose for himself, others as the life events resulting from his achievements, legacy, family, etc., but, to say that life, itself, has meaning. we can live as we wish or we can live for some purpose. Life is not for purpose, but there is purposes in life. Why do people love each other? Because love leads to sexual intercourse, which contributes to the population of the human species. Why do mothers love babies before they are even born? Because it contributes to the maintenance and increase of the population of the human species. Why are so many people against abortion? Because it is a deterrent to procreation. Why are there so many doctors and so much medicine? To maintain the population of the human species. Why is murder such a big crime? 

Finally, so whatever your motivation – hold onto your seat! We are in for a ride, because finding the meaning of life is the most exciting and rewarding adventure of them all! until you discover the purpose of your life, you are living a life of mediocrity. Rise and be great, do the great things you were meant to do. Look deep inside you, realize what is your lifes purpose and your meaning of life and when you do find purpose, you discover yourself to be a greater person than you ever dreamed yourself to be. The world you live in will never be the same and the opportunities life throws at you will be abundant. The Meaning of Life will be clear. 

The ultimate goal of life is to get peace of mind. we can get anything in life except peace of mind because we aim to live in life conveniently, but the goal of life is different from purpose or meaningful life. if we are happy in life, we get peace of mind. Not sure if I can make it interesting...but i want to be the best father, best husband and best relation together with best friendship with good name in the society. I would say that the Ultimate Goal is described as the Good, and we are like Plato and thing happiness is a side-effect of that. Aristotle seems to aim right at happiness. But Plato says the Good and he makes more sense to me. 

Thanks for the opportunities and hope this will help you !!!

1 hour ago, Sammanta said:

you put a very good question. i will try to answer your question. 

We've all tried that, just read the thread.

1 hour ago, Sammanta said:

The ultimate goal of life is to get peace of mind. we can get anything in life except peace of mind because we aim to live in life conveniently, but the goal of life is different from purpose or meaningful life.

Who's the judge? And why should I believe him/her/it?

I think Conan said it best! 

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

10 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

You need to listen to this Moon:

9 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

But he was a mistnonagist and a crushing bore... ;)

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

But he was a mistnonagist and a crushing bore... ;)

Yeah but tell him that... :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Moontanman said:

Yeah but tell him that... :ph34r:

No probs, just give me a headstart and someone to outrun...

The meaning of life is relative within people today, we create our own inner worlds and give life its meaning according to which individual goals we are pursuing (obviously!). I think that life has an absolute meaning though, since we are gifted with consciousness we therefore have the opportunity to support further growth, development and evolution of life. Our role is to inquire for further knowledge about ourselves, how we as individuals think (what the real catalysts to our behaviours are) and how our society would best be constructed. We also have the opportunity to explore the universe we occupy, it is therefore our role to keep our world habitable and in check for all living beings (we have been horribly short sighted and selfish in that department), and search for greater knowledge about all processes in the physical universe.    

Our society's purpose has been lead astray by each individuals self-serving pursuits of "happiness", which is constructed upon power over others, material wealth or having a respectable position. These give us a false feeling of happiness, I believe, since pursuing only these goals will never make you fulfilled and satisfied, we are made to believe that without these we are destined to unhappiness, but the sad truth is also that in the pursuit of these statuses we are as well destined to unhappiness. I believe we are only pursuing these goals to have an advantage when it comes to sexual selection, which is discussed in a book called The Mating Mind, written by Geoffrey Miller, a developmental psychologist. We have to find ways to reduce the competition in society (productivism is perhaps essential to increase yield, but that does not equate to happiness of the population as whole), to make it a world where people can live in solidarity, sharing all resources, living for the well-being of all life, and eventually share the same meaning of life. 

A bit optimistic and simplistic some might say, and I don't blame them for having that view. We have been told all our lives that the only way to find happiness is by being more special than others, to somehow stand out from the general population. But I think this mindset that we have adopted is severely toxic to the well being of our societies.  More and more researches are showing correlation between our surroundings and mental health issues (as some of us had already suspected), as an article written by a M.D. on psychology today sums up (https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/hide-and-seek/201206/the-culture-mental-illness"

"Even schizophrenia, which is thought of as a highly heritable and biological psychotic disorder, has been found to be more common in inner cities and urban areas than in rural areas. The reasons for this are unclear: it could be that the stress of urban living increases the risk of the disorder, or that people with the disorder have a net tendency to migrate out of rural areas and into urban ones."

I recommend reading this article as it has some very accurate points on this issue (of course I could be citing a more "credible" resource for some rational skeptics out there).

This is a very interesting and prosperous field to go into for anyone who wishes to help us achieve a better understanding of mental health and of human nature in general. Anyway I don't want to go completely off topic, I think I am still within the parameters of the subject, so in conclusion I do believe we all share the same purpose and meaning, but our minds have been polluted by individual gains and the competition in society.  

On 15/6/2018 at 1:22 AM, Bjarki Freyr said:

We also have the opportunity to explore the universe we occupy, it is therefore our role to keep our world habitable and in check for all living beings (we have been horribly short sighted and selfish in that department), and search for greater knowledge about all processes in the physical universe

Who or what imparted that role on us?