Proton and antiproton have identical magnetic properties

Memammal

One of the great mysteries of modern physics is why antimatter did not destroy the universe at the beginning of time.

To explain it, physicists suppose there must be some difference between matter and antimatter – apart from electric charge. Whatever that difference is, it’s not in their magnetism, it seems.

Physicists at CERN in Switzerland have made the most precise measurement ever of the magnetic moment of an anti-proton – a number that measures how a particle reacts to magnetic force – and found it to be exactly the same as that of the proton but with opposite sign. The work is described in Nature.

“All of our observations find a complete symmetry between matter and antimatter, which is why the universe should not actually exist,” says Christian Smorra, a physicist at CERN’s Baryon–Antibaryon Symmetry Experiment (BASE) collaboration. “An asymmetry must exist here somewhere but we simply do not understand where the difference is.”

Source: Cosmos 23 October 2017. It seems like a pretty sensational claim...and title for the article..? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 16.11.2017 at 4:35 PM, Vmedvil said:

Yep, I never doubted that Charge functioned in the way being equal and opposite what would have been really cool is if they didn't like strange said.

If charge of anti-particle would not be opposite of what you have in particle, you could not get electric neutral photons as a result of their annihilation..

2 hours ago, Sensei said:

If charge of anti-particle would not be opposite of what you have in particle, you could not get electric neutral photons as a result of their annihilation..

I am a simpleton. Can you expand on the above statement,

My basic understanding is that the (fermions) particles anti particles have opposite spin, and the same polarity. When represented in super symmetric string theory they are a closed loop rotating in opposite directions, when the string is broken they become photons why would they not be identical?  Multiple photons can exist in the same space. At least that is what I thought, until I read what you wrote. Would an antiphoton cause a photon to disappear completely?

I kind of reasoned that if a photon with sufficient energy spirals down a wormhole, it will eventually catch up with its tail end close the loop and become a fermion again being either an anti particle or particle depending on spiraling direction as it disappeared up its own xxxx wave

Edited by interested
grammatical disaster

1 hour ago, interested said:

I am a simpleton. Can you expand on the above statement,

My basic understanding is that the (fermions) particles anti particles have opposite spin, and the same polarity. When represented in super symmetric string theory they are a closed loop rotating in opposite directions, when the string is broken they become photons why would they not be identical?  Multiple photons can exist in the same space. At least that is what I thought, until I read what you wrote. Would an antiphoton cause a photon to disappear completely?

I kind of reasoned that if a photon with sufficient energy spirals down a wormhole, it will eventually catch up with its tail end close the loop and become a fermion again being either an anti particle or particle depending on spiraling direction as it disappeared up its own xxxx wave

Lol, they are just + or - signs ways in the direction of the field, just as charality exists in chemical structure so does it in matter structure, they a supersymmetric across this. In this case, it is across charge so the magnetic field lines both in the opposite direction, but class how your left hand is different than your right. 

jykOLZyTcOjR9MBPCwVA

Edited by Vmedvil

2 hours ago, interested said:

My basic understanding is that the (fermions) particles anti particles have opposite spin, and the same polarity.

They have opposite charge (electrons are negative, positrons have positive charge). Their spin will be opposite if they are created as a pair but are not otherwise related.

15 minutes ago, Strange said:

They have opposite charge (electrons are negative, positrons have positive charge). Their spin will be opposite if they are created as a pair but are not otherwise related.

electrons and positrons when viewed side by side with opposite spin have magnetic polarity North South both facing upwards do they not? 

4 hours ago, Sensei said:

photons are electrically neutral, how can they be anything else.

27 minutes ago, interested said:

photons are electrically neutral, how can they be anything else.

exactly. But if the charges of the particle and anti-particle were not exactly equal (and opposite) then they would not cancel exactly. So there would be some charge left over. But as photons are neutral, the charges must be equal.

#conservation-laws

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.