What is inner-peace?

dimreepr

34 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

You can't add to inner peace, any more than you can add more beer to a full pint, but you can be careful you don't spill any

Its poets (piss off early tomorrows saturday) day, and a good time to have a few, which are best emptiedand not kept full, if one wants to increase your sense of inner peace d ed ness. :)

have a good one

11 hours ago, interested said:

acceptance

Anger Hate FearJealousy are all feelings that dont add to inner peace or happiness.

Yep. Acceptance. Because thats the condition you have and to reject the condition you have would only  increase the limitations it imposes. 

Accepting that condition for what it is lets you see its limitations, and how to reduce or overcome them.

Lots of feelings don't add to inner peace or happiness. While I accept that, I will respond more effectively to them.  They are parts of my condition. Only I can respond effectively to my condition.

Environment does not respond. Its a space . Its form depends on what it holds.  It will either hold a thing, or not. Depending on its condition. The space doesn't decide its condition, its condition is given by what it holds. By how it responds to the space it has.

Every thing beyond my 'self' is my environment.

@dimreepr  Would you say that self belief and  the ability to respond  ( responsibility) are equal to acceptance here then?

Or maybe belief in potential,  more  than belief in self. Since that  potential can be credited to a God .

Edited by naitche

11 hours ago, naitche said:

@dimreepr  Would you say that self belief and  the ability to respond  ( responsibility) are equal to acceptance here then?

It's not about equivalence it's about understanding, understanding that ultimately you're on your own (it's no-ones job to sort your problems) and understanding yourself and others worts and all. Self-belief without understanding explains a lot of people (*cough* Trump).

11 hours ago, naitche said:

Or maybe belief in potential,  more  than belief in self. Since that  potential can be credited to a God .

Belief has a part to play, some find peace in a deity (good luck to them) and some find it believing tomorrow will take care of itself.

10 hours ago, dimreepr said:

It's not about equivalence it's about understanding, understanding that ultimately you're on your own (it's no-ones job to sort your problems) and understanding yourself and others worts and all. Self-belief without understanding explains a lot of people (*cough* Trump)

Erm, yes, I see what you mean.

You could class understanding as responsibility though couldn't  you?-  Excersizing and maximizing your own abilities to respond?

15 hours ago, naitche said:

You could class understanding as responsibility though couldn't  you?-  Excersizing and maximizing your own abilities to respond?

Some of us can and some of us can't, just do what you can and be content with that.

Humans have two centers of consciousness. These can be called the inner self and the ego; the centers of the unconscious and conscious minds, respectively. Inner peace is connected to the inside or unconscious mind of the person. Inner peace implies that there is a low potential within the inner self and unconscious mind. 

The observation of centers of consciousness can be proven using a simple experiment. For example, say you were walking along and someone jumps out from behind a door and scares you. You may jump and even scream due to the surprise. This is not a voluntary action, but rather comes from data processing within the unconscious mind. In most cases, the  ego and conscious mind would prefer not to be embarrassed, by jumping and screaming. However, it cannot control the unconscious reaction to the stimulus since it occurs quickly before the ego can censor it.

The reactions of the unconscious mind and inner self is more comprehensive, than this example of jumping. It is based on criteria connected to natural instinct. The inner self reacts to the environment at the same time the ego is making choices through will power. These choices can also be due to social conformity. Inner peace is when the inner self and the ego make the same choices as the inner self, so there is no counter reaction to the ego, allowing the ego to feel a low potential feeling called inner peace. 

An analogy is like being guarded by a guard dog. If you try to run, he will chase you and grab you by your clothes. If you stop, but show signs of trying to escape, he will bark at you. If you stop and remain still, he will stop barking and quietly sit and watch you. Inner peace is when the ego figures out how to appease the inner self so there is no inner opposition. 

In the example of being scared by someone behind the closed door, picture if you are a well trained spy, who has entered enemy territory and is aware of the possibility of a defensive threat. If someone jumps behind the door to get you, the inner self's fast reaction time, now benefits the ego, since it allows the body to be in motion, for the ego, to maximize survival. There is harmony and peace.  One gets back to the mission as though it never happened. However, the spy may conflict in other ways in terms of natural instincts so sleep is scarce. 

Edited by puppypower
clarity

52 minutes ago, puppypower said:

The observation of centers of consciousness can be proven using a simple experiment. For example, say you were walking along and someone jumps out from behind a door and may jump and even scream due to the surprise. This is not a voluntary action, but rather comes from data processing within the unconscious mind. In most cases, the  ego and conscious mind would prefer not to be embarrassed, by jumping and screaming. However, it cannot control the unconscious reaction to the stimulus since it occurs quickly before the ego can censor it.

I can vouch for this! Recently, walking peacefully around a quiet corner, i was completely startled by a woman running into me - i jumped and let out a squeal like a little girl! I'm a big boy and i couldn't believe i could be such a scaredy cat, so easily frightened. My inner-peace was certainly disturbed then!

As for true inner-peace, what causes me most inner-disturbance is worrying: worry about family, friends, money, health, work, relationships, world events etc etc.To me, then, inner-peace would be being able to stop all this worrying by not always imagining the worst - but I can't see that ever being possible; maybe  some turmoil is necessary: rough seas make good sailors.

1 minute ago, Tub said:

I can vouch for this! Recently, walking peacefully around a quiet corner, i was completely startled by a woman running into me - i jumped and let out a squeal like a little girl! I'm a big boy and i couldn't believe i could be such a scaredy cat, so easily frightened. My inner-peace was certainly disturbed then!

As for true inner-peace, what causes me most inner-disturbance is worrying: worry about family, friends, money, health, work, relationships, world events etc etc.To me, then, inner-peace would be being able to stop all this worrying by not always imagining the worst - but I can't see that ever being possible; maybe  some turmoil is necessary: rough seas make good sailors.

It comes down to the ego or conscious mind out of phase with the inner self. For example, think back over the past year, about the things you worried about. How much of this came to pass? If the answer is very little, in proportion to the amount of worry,  this very little is what the inner self saw from the beginning. If you could see into the future, and know all the worry is not needed, you would be in the same place as the inner self.

Like an animal, the inner self is more reactive to the environment and lives inreal time. It is not wasting time worrying about hypotheticals. For example, say your wife was pregnant and close to due. The inner self is not to concerned, since this is natural. It will be peaceful, until the day of adversity, then it will act. You end up in the some place, but with less energy being wasted. This is inner peace. 

36 minutes ago, puppypower said:

It comes down to the ego or conscious mind out of phase with the inner self. For example, think back over the past year, about the things you worried about. How much of this came to pass? If the answer is very little, in proportion to the amount of worry,  this very little is what the inner self saw from the beginning. If you could see into the future, and know all the worry is not needed, you would be in the same place as the inner self.

Like an animal, the inner self is more reactive to the environment and lives inreal time. It is not wasting time worrying about hypotheticals. For example, say your wife was pregnant and close to due. The inner self is not to concerned, since this is natural. It will be peaceful, until the day of adversity, then it will act. You end up in the some place, but with less energy being wasted. This is inner peace. 

It's more than just this, we're an intelligent a species, which ultimately gets in the way of a binary explanation, yin and yang just present the extremes of human nature (the nuance lies somewhere between), we need to recognise it but not be guided by it.

Edited by dimreepr

9 hours ago, puppypower said:

Inner peace is when the ego figures out how to appease the inner self so there is no inner opposition. 

No. Inner peace is reprogramming the "inner self" to match your desired behaviour. We are not slaves of some separate "id" that needs appeasing.

Psychoanalysis is nothing but a bunge of outdated and untestable hypotheses.

8 hours ago, puppypower said:

You could reverse all this and it would sound just as good. The hypotheticals get conjured by the "inner self " and the conscious mind sorts out the selection presented to it. By properly training the "inner self", it produces less irrational urges, such as fear of heights in a situation where falling is impossible.