What is inner-peace?

dimreepr

6 hours ago, naitche said:

I would also say acceptance is the answer.

It's just part of the puzzle albeit an important part.

4 hours ago, interested said:

Being too content and trusting what people say is what leads to being taken advantage 

You can be content and skeptical, they aren't mutually exclusive.

4 hours ago, interested said:

hence the loss of inner peace I am currently experiencing.  

Forgiving is another important part of the puzzle but, before you ask, I'm not suggesting you roll over and accept the builder will be a good guy thereafter. 

16 hours ago, koti said:

I don’t know about you dimreepr and interested but for me, humour is a vital part of inner peace.

All emotions are valid and have value at the appropriate time and place.

5 hours ago, dimreepr said:

All emotions are valid and have value at the appropriate time and place.

I disagree. Anger, hate, fear, jealousy, revenge, guilt... You're better off without those, and definitely closer to inner peace.

On 6-3-2018 at 7:49 PM, interested said:

I have considered all the options, I will let my wife know your views, but I think I will hang onto her. 

Then you better accept the consequences of your choice.

I fought the insurance company for two years before deciding to give up. I accept the significant monetary loss, and at no point lost any sleep over it. I admit that the supposed "expert" is the only person I can remember who ever made me loose my temper. 

Edited by Bender

On 3/4/2018 at 11:50 AM, dimreepr said:

"He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature." - Socrates quotes 

I did not reaalize beggars were so rich, I had thought some were trying to con me or were having problems. Now I know they are loaded and dont need to help them any more. I wonder if my builder will be content if I dont pay him. :) Could Socrates have been wrong. ???????????????????

Edit: I posted a hell of a lot more than this but it vanished, I had answered both the previous 2 posts extensively before this last comment.

Edited by interested

1 hour ago, Bender said:

I disagree. Anger, hate, fear, jealousy, revenge, guilt... You're better off without those, and definitely closer to inner peace.

Then you better accept the consequences of your choice.

I fought the insurance company for two years before deciding to give up. I accept the significant monetary loss, and at no point lost any sleep over it. I admit that the supposed "expert" is the only person I can remember who ever made me loose my temper. 

Without anger, hate, fear we’d all be dead as a species. I certainly would be if I hadn’t had these emotions in me when I was getting the hard treatment from life. There are worse things in this world than getting run over by an insurance company you know...when you are brought to an edge it is vital to have these emotions in you to stay sane/alive.

14 hours ago, naitche said:

I would also say acceptance is the answer.

Acceptance is for slaves, never give in Non det in, nunca ceda, Ne illegitimi carborundum te, etc etc etc.

9 minutes ago, koti said:

Without anger, hate, fear we’d all be dead as a specie

All animals feel these feelings, what makes them happy is not being bothered by other animals that want things from them they are not willing to give. Ie life money food belief gas etc.

42 minutes ago, koti said:

when you are brought to an edge it is vital to have these emotions in you to stay sane/alive.

If that statement is true, I cannot be alive nor sane.

What keeps me from getting too close to the edge is the knowledge of the risks involved. I don't need fear for that. Fear forces irrational, suboptimal choices.

36 minutes ago, interested said:

Acceptance is for slaves, never give in Non det in, nunca ceda, Ne illegitimi carborundum te, etc etc etc.

Nonsense. Everyone accepts thousands of things every day. I don't like going to the toilet, but I would be quite miserable if I didn't accept the necessity.

That doesn't mean you have to accept everything, but choose your wars carefully, and don't loose any sleep over them. 

7 minutes ago, Bender said:

If that statement is true, I cannot be alive nor sane.

What keeps me from getting too close to the edge is the knowledge of the risks involved. I don't need fear for that. Fear forces irrational, suboptimal choices.

What would you say are the reasons for these „unwanted” emotions to exist?

7 minutes ago, koti said:

What would you say are the reasons for these „unwanted” emotions to exist?

Evolutionary leftovers from ancestors with lesser ability of rational thought.  

Edited by Bender

2 hours ago, Bender said:

I disagree. Anger, hate, fear, jealousy, revenge, guilt... You're better off without those...

18 minutes ago, Bender said:

Evolutionary leftovers from ancestors with lesser ability of rational thought.  

I have to disagree on that one Bender. Maybe in some futuristic, utopian scenario your idea could have a chance of success but this is not Netflix were dealing with here, its real life. I’m missing my wisdom teeth so I’d say I’m well evolved and getting rid of a bunch of my emotions which make me who I am sounds like lobotomy to me. Maybe we are picturing different scenarios here and thats where the disagreement lies.

Perhaps. You may have noticed I left e.g. sadness or grief from my list. I do not find all undesirable emotions superfluous.

There is also nothing utopic about not feeling eg anger, greed or hate on a personal level. After all, this thread is about inner peace, not world peace.

@interested, 

I don't see  acceptance equals submission.

It   infers  responsibility. Submission does the opposite.

Without accepting your condition, you can't deal with it.

Environment is what it is- Its not going to change because you are angry, but your anger can be used as incentive to create a better set of conditions.

Acceptance allows you to study and work with what you have, to create alternate potential.  The feelings are part of your condition, but they don't decide its direction. Your own responses are are all you can rely on. Every thing else is environment.

Acceptance allows you look at what you have, and recognise it. Achieve  familiarity enough to see how how it might be changed.

Edited by naitche

19 hours ago, Bender said:

It's a matter of level and direction:

Anger and hate can be useful if directed at situations rather than people, for instance, I can be angry and hate what greedy people do (whilst understanding why they do it) but if enough of us direct those emotions towards a solution we might solve it. 

Fear, I think, is self-evident at the appropriate time and place.

Jealousy can, at a reasonable level, remind a partner of appropriate behaviour and our feelings and help cement the relationship.

Guilt can remind us of the mistakes we (ALL) make and gives us an opportunity to better/redeem ourselves.

Revenge, now that is a tricky one because our natural urge is to hurt them as they hurt you, and at the appropriate level that is justice; an eye for an eye (you steal my cow and I take one of yours) but the urge is strong and tends to lead to an over-reaction (because we want to be sure you feel the same level of pain) so we take two.

Inner peace is as much about understanding others as it is about understanding oneself.

Edited by dimreepr

11 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

It's a matter of level and direction:

Anger and hate can be useful if directed at situations rather than people, for instance, I can be angry and hate what greedy people do (whilst understanding why they do it) but if enough of us direct those emotions towards a solution we might solve it. 

Jealousy can, at a reasonable level, remind a partner of appropriate behaviour and our feelings and help cement the relationship.

Guilt can remind us of the mistakes we (ALL) make and gives us an opportunity to better/redeem ourselves.

Revenge, now that is a tricky one because our natural urge is to hurt them as they hurt you, and at the appropriate level that is justice; an eye for an eye (you steal my cow and I take one of yours) but the urge is strong and tends to lead to an over-reaction (because we want to be sure you feel the same level of pain) so we take two.

Inner peace is as much about understanding others as it is about understanding oneself.

Its much easier to have a detailed explanation to work with when trying to take a stance to what somebody means. I don’t know if this comes as a surprise to you or not but I agree on everything you stated above. I can only add what I wrote 5 months ago somewhere in this thread that inner peace is subjective to factors. The gripe we previously had in this thread was due to generalizations which do not work with me too well. Plus one.

18 hours ago, interested said:

I did not reaalize beggars were so rich, I had thought some were trying to con me or were having problems. Now I know they are loaded and dont need to help them any more.

If one has to beg it means one doesn't have a basic need (food shelter water) you try it see how rich you feel.

7 minutes ago, koti said:

I don’t know if this comes as a surprise to you or not.

Hope is something we all need. :P

11 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

I haven't read through all 8 pages, but has religion been discussed in the context of inner peace during this discussion yet?

I can't remember, why do you ask?

Edited by dimreepr

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Hope is something we all need. :P

Yep, I had a feeling that what I’d get for smoothing things out will be a dangling tongue :P 

1 hour ago, Raider5678 said:

I haven't read through all 8 pages, but has religion been discussed in the context of inner peace during this discussion yet?

Oh God, please don’t.

23 minutes ago, koti said:

Yep, I had a feeling that what I’d get for smoothing things out will be a dangling tongue :P 

A joke without the tongue is just :)

11 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

I was curious.

Carry on.

What don't you want God to do?;)

I mean, you capitalized his name and everything.

Joking aside, what did you want to discuss?

24 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

What don't you want God to do?;)

I mean, you capitalized his name and everything.

We capitalize proper nouns, it would be silly to make spelling errors just to fulfill some kind of agenda.

Edited by koti

20 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

A joke without the tongue is just :)

Joking aside, what did you want to discuss?

I wanted to know if religion had been discussed.
I am not however, wanting to even go down that road at the moment.

On 07/03/2018 at 8:57 PM, interested said:

Acceptance is for slaves,

What choice does a slave have?

never give in

Again, they aren't mutually exclusive (very little point to raging against the machine); if they accept the situation they're in a much better position to think of a way out, much better than just punching the owner because you can't.

22 hours ago, Raider5678 said:

As you have asked, but might regret.

A few years ago, I had tests done for cancer, about a month later the doctor phoned and said he urgently wanted to see me, it was non – Hodgkin Lymphoma, this was a name I recognised, our friend had this cancer, and died a few months later. I prayed for the wisdom, strength, peace and serenity to do God’s will, whether the cancer was a death sentence, or just an inconvenience. I can only say that from the moment of making this prayer, I have experienced a profound sense of peace, and the thought of cancer has never troubled me for a moment.

Cancer could be a truly worrying process, you wait a month or two for tests, you wait for the results, and you wait for more tests, but the prayer to do God’s will sort of handed the problem to God, and I have never had to worry. I have never once prayed for healing, at the age of 62, the prayer for healing seemed too complicated, it might or might not be my time to go. Recognising this profound sense of peace comes from God, gives me reason to be thankful.

44 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

What choice does a slave have?

acceptance

23 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Anger Hate FearJealousy are all feelings that dont add to inner peace or happiness.

16 minutes ago, interested said:

Anger Hate FearJealousy are all feelings that dont add to inner peace or happiness.

You can't add to inner peace, any more than you can add more beer to a full pint, but you can be careful you don't spill any.

20 minutes ago, Eric H said:

As you have asked, but might regret.

You're preaching to the converted (quoting Raider), I'm the atheist but either way, I see no reason to regret I'm glad you've found peace.

26 minutes ago, Eric H said:

Recognising this profound sense of peace comes from God, gives me reason to be thankful.

There's more than one path to peace, God is just a light, for some, to show the way.