Matter/Antimatter Asymmetry

scallywag007

My theory is that the asymmetry could be best explained as TWO infinite points instead of one. Like binary stars spinning around each other getting ever closer until they collide. The two points would collide and explode. Such an explosion would be massive enough to annihilate anything. My theory is that in the explosion, there was more anti-matter destroyed than matter creating the asymmetry and causing matter to be more abundant and creating the universe. This would also allow for the singularity as the Big Bang would still appear to have come from a single point.

2 minutes ago, scallywag007 said:

My theory is that in the explosion, there was more anti-matter destroyed than matter creating the asymmetry and causing matter to be more abundant and creating the universe.

Ignoring the problems with "two infinite points" for the moment, you have basically "solved" the problem by using magic:

• "Why is there more matter than antimatter?"
  • "Because more antimatter was destroyed"

That doesn't answer anything unless you can explain why more antimatter was destroyed. That is the question that physicists are attempting to explain (via parity violation, and other things).

25 minutes ago, swansont said:

You need to be more explicit in step 2.

The singularities are made of matter. So you are already up 2 parts matter before the explosion. The resulting explosion would then create further matter and anti-matter. And with anti-matter already at a 2-1 disadvantage, anti-matter loses.

2 minutes ago, scallywag007 said:

The singularities are made of matter. 

Then why would there any antimatter at all. Why not just say: "the universe started of with all matter and no antimatter". (Again, ignoring the meaninglessness of "singularities made of matter".

But this, of course, still doesn't solve the problem. You would need to have an explanation for why the universe (your singularities) started out as all matter.

21 hours ago, scallywag007 said:

The singularities are made of matter. So you are already up 2 parts matter before the explosion. The resulting explosion would then create further matter and anti-matter. And with anti-matter already at a 2-1 disadvantage, anti-matter loses.

Where did that matter come from? You're just kicking the can down the road here.

All I've heard about is a single point. Not what is was made of. It would just stand to reason that in order for matter to win you would need more matter than anti-matter. for that to be guaranteed you would have to start out with a single particle of matter that either explodes under it's own pressure or collides with another particle of matter. I'm not a science major of any sort. Just an armchair theorist that is fascinated by science. The reason I suggested a 2 particle collision is based on the attempts of discovering gravitational waves.  A single particle will produce the wave effect that they've been searching for but have been unsuccessful. But a collision would produce a different wave. The angle and force of impact would determine the type of wave produced. With that said it may be nearly impossible to determine the wave shape. Yet the "bang" would still appear to come from a single point.

2 hours ago, swansont said:

Where did that matter come from? You're just kicking the can down the road here.

many theories start out with kicking the can. But given enough kicks, it eventually stands upright.

1 hour ago, scallywag007 said:

All I've heard about is a single point.

That single point (singularity) is what happens if you trace back the expansion using only general relativity. No one expects that the universe actually started as a single point. And such a point could consist of matter (because matter cannot be compressed to a point).

1 hour ago, scallywag007 said:

It would just stand to reason that in order for matter to win you would need more matter than anti-matter

The problem is with the initial creation of matter (or, strictly speaking, baryons and leptons). If you assume matter already exists, then you are starting from a time after the problem existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe#Electroweak_epoch

When matter is produced from high energy photons, for example, it is always produced as equal amounts of matter and anti-matter - because of various conservation laws to do with charge and all the other properties that particles have.

I'm going to propose a 'wild guess'...

The last symmetry break  which broke up the Electroweak force into the EM and weak force also gave rise to two classes of particles, one massless and one massive.
Could previous symmetry breaks, such as the Color decoupling from the Electroweak have provided the mechanism which resulted in the predominance of matter over antimatter ?
We could not know this until we have a theory and a viable mechanism for this to happen, of course.

7 hours ago, MikeAL said:

You may be interested in this link, suggesting the assumed asymmetry might not exist:

https://www.livescience.com/60798-why-the-universe-should-not-exist.html?utm_source=notification

The word asymmetry is being applied to two different things here, which is potentially confusing.

The thread title is referring to the asymmetry in the amount of matter and antimatter (which obviously does exist). The article you link to highlights that, as expected, anti-protons are identical to protons; i.e. there is no asymmetry in their properties. That is whey we expect there to be symmetry in the amount of matter and antimatter: in other words to be equal amounts of both (i.e. none).

8 hours ago, MigL said:

I'm going to propose a 'wild guess'...

The last symmetry break  which broke up the Electroweak force into the EM and weak force also gave rise to two classes of particles, one massless and one massive.
Could previous symmetry breaks, such as the Color decoupling from the Electroweak have provided the mechanism which resulted in the predominance of matter over antimatter ?
We could not know this until we have a theory and a viable mechanism for this to happen, of course.

I'm pretty sure this is one avenue that's been/is being investigated. The first baryons formed in the universe would probably not been the protons and neutrons, but their higher-energy relatives, and at some energy scale, these may have experiences an asymmetry so that when they decayed, more matter than antimatter was left. Analogous to various mesons that have shown this behavior.

It may be that we aren't yet able to probe to the necessary energy levels to observe it.