"e" Natural Base

NSX

Just a little food for thought kinda thread here; what ways are there to find the numerical value of "e", that is, the natural base.

There's 2 I learned this semester:

1. 1/1! + 2/2! + 3/3! + ... n/n!, as n-->infinity where n is an element of natural numbers

Or something like that

and

2. The fundamental limit of calculus, that is:

lim x-->infinity for (1 + 1/x)^x

Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

It's e = 1/0! + 1/1! + 1/2! + 1/3! (etc), which is something called a Taylor series; you get a good value out pretty quickly too.

Yeah; something like that...lol

That's the taylor series eh?

I see; I hear you math gurus talking about it alot; where else do you use this taylor series?

It's very useful for proving things like Euler's formula (e^(pi * i) +1 = 0) and stuff like that. Not sure I can think of anything else to use it for, but it's mainly used in proofs and such things. And approximations to things like circular/hyperbolic functions etc.

A taylor series assumes you can express a function as an infinite sum of the differations of the function, basically.

WHat do you mean by differations?

Originally posted by dave

It's very useful for proving things like Euler's formula (e^(pi * i) +1 = 0) and stuff like that. Not sure I can think of anything else to use it for, but it's mainly used in proofs and such things. And approximations to things like circular/hyperbolic functions etc.

What's the value of i?

i^2=-1, so that makes i :confused:

i is the square root of minus 1.

It's just a number.

:embarass:

Ah..darn;

hehe

I wanted to just plug it into my calculator and try it.