Zoology vs Bioengineering (and other bio majors)

Nukeyfox

Hi, 

I'm going to complete my A-levels next year and I haven't decided on what major I want to take. I'm certain I want to major in biology or life science but I'm torn between choices. I do not have a passion for medicine however -- I have neither the interest nor the stomach for it.

What interests me the most is researching, especially if the field is hands-on. I've narrowed it down to two -- Zoology and Bioengineering -- but I need help in deciding as I would be stuck with my choice for the rest of my life.

I've listed down what I think of them and why I would like to study them. I could use more insight.

Zoology:

• I'm an outdoor enthusiast.
  • I have a passion for environmental protection and conservation
  •  I find evolutionary biology, geology and ethology very interesting.
  • However, there is probably very few opportunities in my (very anthropocentric) country
  • It seems to be a very time-consuming career and I wouldn't be able to practice other interests, such as CS or design.
  • I also have a deep interest in physics and engineering, and I'm not sure if zoology is broad enough to include those.

Bioengineering:

• I have an interest in computer science and electronics. (I excel in physics)
  • This field allows me to research as well as apply it practically.
  • There is more job opportunities (albeit medical job opportunities) than zoology.
  • However, I would probably miss out in time spent outdoors.
  • Most paths seem to lead into biomedical engineering, something I do not want to do.
  • I do not get to hang around and learn about animals :(

I may be too idealistic and naive. I'm also thinking of just studying Biology in general.

Thanks for any input.

I suggest taking courses in both areas and look at actual careers involving these disciplines. Zoology does not necessarily lead to outdoor jobs (but may involve e.g. animal care, consultant jobs, instructor etc.), whereas biotech does not necessarily lead to medical work. Also,  time commitment depends more on the job than the degree. E.g. in an academic  career post  PhD your free time is very limited, same goes to fast-moving jobs. In others you may just have regular ~40h weeks.