Ohhh, what insufficient English of mine, please help.

albertlee

Out of interest, I took a sample of SAT-I test paper, and I evaluated myself.

To my surprise, especically in the mutliple choice question involving filling the gaps of sentences and choosing the right pair of related rephrases similar to the original ones, about 1/3 of the choices I dont know the vocab... :-(

I feel that the SAT's text is written in a certain style. Do you guys know any genre of text which is written like the SAT one in a similar way?? because I want to practice my vocabulary.

This is my very 1st time that I disillusioned how poor in vocabulary my English is.

Seriously, I never heard of those words, or any one spoke in that kind of tone.

Albert

Oh, I'm sorry, you didn't take the test itself.

Well, it's been a while since I took the tests, but I remember that a lot of the vocabulary is not in common spoken use. A well read person will be familar with most of the words and will have gleaned their meanings from the context in which they are used.

I would have thought that knowing 2/3 rds of the words was pretty good; some of the words are included to distinquish between the top 0.1% and 0.2%.

I feel that the SAT's text is written in a certain style. Do you guys know any genre of text which is written like the SAT one in a similar way?? because I want to practice my vocabulary.

Read more. Go get an Umberto Eco and Micuel De Cervantes 'Don Quixote'. Anything that plays with language.

read a dictionary!

seriously here, I`m not kidding, you`ll probably forget over 80% of the words within 2 weeks, so read it again, and you`ll lose less words and the ones you did learn will stay with you a little longer, also it`ll help to have an english speaking friend to talk to, there`s no better reiforcement than usage! :)

it helped me with my Russian :)

Oh' date=' I'm sorry, you didn't take the test itself.

Well, it's been a while since I took the tests, but I remember that a lot of the vocabulary is not in common [i']spoken[/i] use. A well read person will be familar with most of the words and will have gleaned their meanings from the context in which they are used.

I would have thought that knowing 2/3 rds of the words was pretty good; some of the words are included to distinquish between the top 0.1% and 0.2%.

top 0.1% and 0.2% of what??

And, How about Britain??

If I apply for a British university in 4 years, I will not need such an exam, because the end of year exam in our school is delivered to International Baccalaureate Organisation where if I pass, sends a certificate which is officially recognised through out the world, yes, both UK and US accept it, but for US, I need also to take SAT, where as UK, I dont know.

Whatsoever, the test is claimed a reasoning test, but using such rare English words, do you think it is fair to test people's reasoning skill??

btw, the maths bit is alot easier though :)

why do we have to be that good in English?? The majority isn't applying for English Literature subject any way.

Albert

often us English wonder the same thing! I know I did, like WTF read Shakespeare? the olde worlde type lang is Soooo redundant, and not at all beneficial in the REAL WORLD!

why not give us cool stuff to read instead?

I had an aunt who loved to read and had a wonderful vocabulary. When someone really annoyed her, she referred to their actions as "reprehensible".

My vocabulary improved significantly just because I visited her and talked with her a lot.

Go to Merriam Webster Online http://www.m-w.com/ . In addition to a dictionary, there is a thesaurus. There is also a section on word games you might find enlightening.

why do we have to be that good in English?? The majority isn't applying for English Literature subject any way.

It's so you can express yourself clearly, eloquently and succinctly. The finer honed your language skills are, the more persuasive you become. To a certain degree it doesn't matter how much you learn if you are not able to adequately express yourself or your ideas. Incorrect grammar can ruin a lucid point, such as your improper use of 'whatsoever' in your previous post. More than that, communication is the most important tool you will ever use.

Do you guys know any genre of text which is written like the SAT one in a similar way?? because I want to practice my vocabulary.
There are SAT test preparation books that have vocabulary lists that will help you practice for the SAT-I verbal section.

Here's a look at the Barron's book - look at pgs 139 - 244

More links :

http://www.freevocabulary.com/

http://www.english-test.net/sat/vocabulary/meanings/488/sat-test.php

http://rnewton.home.infionline.net/sat/sateng.html

• 1 month later...