Need opinion on project

Dr scientist

Hello, 

i am a scientist working for a goverment organization on producing new energy sources for the planet. I had to come up with the project to produce electricity. I have one idea but i am not so sure if it will work. 

Everybody knows about the solar pannel and how the absorb solar energy. But our planets weather doesnt always allow this. But what if we sent satellites that have solar pannels that absorb the energy from the son and stores it. Then when the storage is full the satellite would come down and another wold take its place. I do understand how much money this would cost and that it very expensive but please comment.

Edited by Dr scientist
Changed words

8 minutes ago, Dr scientist said:

Then when the storage is full the satellite would come down and another wold take its place.

Have you even thought about how much energy it takes to launch a satellite!? You are a scientist. Do a quick calculation.

It would be more efficient to just burn the rocket fuel to generate electricity.

1 minute ago, Strange said:

Have you even thought about how much energy it takes to launch a satellite!? You are a scientist. Do a quick calculation.

It would be more efficient to just burn the rocket fuel to generate electricity.

I know the calculations and have taken in consideration: prices, fuel, materials, people and organizations 

But this is a beta project i am just taking opinions and how to improve 

6 minutes ago, Dr scientist said:

I know the calculations and have taken in consideration: prices, fuel, materials, people and organizations 

And you still think it is a plausible project. I am surprised. Could you share your preliminary results with us?

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

And you still think it is a plausible project. I am surprised. Could you share your preliminary results with us?

I agree the project looks like it came out of a 3 year olds mouth. My reults are:

250 million  pounds ( to launch ) 500 million pounds to create a satalite in the first place plus an extra 120 million with all extra features to it 24 hour monitoring will cost around 600 k plus a suitabale buliding that sustains the people monitoring plus all equipment another 400 million. 

I know it sounds absurd and if i look at it properly it seems even more absurd.

So if we just look at the launch cost (assuming everything else will be spread out over the lifetime of the project) you would have to store and return more than 250 million pounds worth of energy to make it worthwhile. At a generous 15p / kWh that means storing 1.6 GWh of energy. What sort of battery technology are you thinking of that can store that much energy but still fit in a satellite?

4 hours ago, Dr scientist said:

am a scientist working for a goverment organization on producing new energy sources for the planet. I had to come up with the project to produce electricity. I have one idea but i am not so sure if it will work.

Doesn't the sun shine out of your President's _ _ _ ?

So perhaps you could dispense with the satellites if you placed your solar panels in the right location.

:)

Edited by studiot

I am going to hope, very seriously, that you are fourteen or 15 year old high school student doing this for a class project.  If you really are "a scientist working for a government organization on producing new energy sources for the planet" then I cringe for our planet.  Even a college student should be able to do calculations, which you say you have done, to show that the energy cost of putting a satellite in orbit, then bring it back to discharge a battery, will far greater than any energy that battery could hold!

If it's a government run school and he's doing this as science homework, does that make him a "scientist working for a government organization on producing new energy sources for the planet" even if he's a teenage student and not very good at it (yet).

However, such a description, though technically not "wrong" would be very misleading and thus very bad manners.

Incidentally, in principle, gravity is a conservative field so you ought to be able to recover the energy of one satellite coming down, and use that to launch another  one up.

The principle is the same as using two lifts as counterweights for eachother.