Develop inmunity against poisons and toxins

Hello people, as the title says, I want to know if it's possible to develop inmunity agains posions (Like spider and snake venom's) and toxins (Like botulinum) through inyecting little no lethal dose and increasing it over time. I have readed about the mithridatism, but I want to know if this practice really works and if it were so. It will work with all poisons type, like cyanire? And, the inmuty can reach to 100% (For example: If a inland taipan bites me, I survive without consuming any antidote)?

I saw a documentary once where an army special forces guy who had been in the desert for a long time had built up a resilience to scorpion stings. I think it started by accident where he was stung, and then over the years he just allowed himself to be stung every day or so. Now he can take a hit from a scorpion that would normally kill someone and he just gets a slight headache.

On 17/10/2017 at 2:22 AM, CharonY said:

I sincerely hope that he did not try to figure it out experimentally.

Don't worry, I will not try... For now

On 16/10/2017 at 4:37 PM, John Cuthber said:

It will work for some things, but not others.

Here's the interesting question: how do you know if it worked?

22 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

How else?

Well... I think a way to experiment it's, after to reach inmunity to the lethal dose, stop the "treament" for a month, later inyect me the approximately the 85% of the lethal dose and evaluate the effects. What do you think? Anyone have others ideas?

On 17/10/2017 at 6:22 AM, DrP said:

I saw a documentary once where an army special forces guy who had been in the desert for a long time had built up a resilience to scorpion stings. I think it started by accident where he was stung, and then over the years he just allowed himself to be stung every day or so. Now he can take a hit from a scorpion that would normally kill someone and he just gets a slight headache.

Sounds interesting. Can you provide me a link to the documental? Or you saw it in Discovery Channel, Animal Planet or some channel like that?

On 17/10/2017 at 5:22 AM, Endy0816 said:

If you start with Iocane powder the rest are easy.

Can you be more especific, please?

As stated, it will differ per poison, (but also per person) some poisons you will never get used to,

others, like alcohol, can be rather immunized to by the individual but you can't get a meaningfull discussion going since halve the participants are drunk :)

And NO, you cannot reach 100% immunity against most poisons, mainly because too much of something will always be too much;

people have died from drinking TOO MUCH (8+ liters) of water for example.

2 hours ago, Darko Dark Shadow said:

Can you be more especific, please?

Joking reference to the Princess Bride where this method is used. 

Seriously though don't recommend testing. In real life you are more likely to just end up dead.

Edited by Endy0816

1 hour ago, Endy0816 said:

Seriously though don't recommend testing. In real life you are more likely to just end up dead.

A bit like playing Russian Roulette with yourself and counting how many times you can get away with it before you find the bullet.

17 hours ago, Darko Dark Shadow said:

Sounds interesting. Can you provide me a link to the documental? Or you saw it in Discovery Channel, Animal Planet or some channel like that?

Yea, sorry it was on the TV and it was some time back (10 years at least). I done a quick search for a youtube clip or something but found nothing on the guy. He was based in the desert and was special forces...  big guy with a good constitution. I think his size and fitness helped him pull through his first couple of bites (which were accidental) then he started to administer the poison himself to build immunity over years. If I spot it again or get more time to look it up further then I will let you know.

20 hours ago, Roamer said:

As stated, it will differ per poison, (but also per person) some poisons you will never get used to,

others, like alcohol, can be rather immunized to by the individual but you can't get a meaningfull discussion going since halve the participants are drunk :)

And NO, you cannot reach 100% immunity against most poisons, mainly because too much of something will always be too much;

people have died from drinking TOO MUCH (8+ liters) of water for example.

Yeah, the effects and the time to get certain inmunity will differ per person. And the inmunity to the alcohol would be good, but I don't drink alcohol so it's useless for me :D. So, as too much from something is bad... No 100% inmunity.

19 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

I think that's one of the dumbest ideas I have heard in ages.

The human world is full with bad ideas, one more will not make it worse.

19 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

18 hours ago, StringJunky said:

A bit like playing Russian Roulette with yourself and counting how many times you can get away with it before you find the bullet.

Ah, that was... Sorry, I don't watch TV or movies. And yes, I'm not going to test it in real life, it's dangerous, but thanks for the advice.

4 hours ago, DrP said:

Yea, sorry it was on the TV and it was some time back (10 years at least). I done a quick search for a youtube clip or something but found nothing on the guy. He was based in the desert and was special forces...  big guy with a good constitution. I think his size and fitness helped him pull through his first couple of bites (which were accidental) then he started to administer the poison himself to build immunity over years. If I spot it again or get more time to look it up further then I will let you know.

I hope that I can found it, I'm a little surprised for the guy resistance to support two bites. Thanks for serach it and give me the description, and thanks in advanced if you can found it. :)