Dynamic programming

Dentre

Hello, 

Thank you for read this question. I am trying to understand dynamic programming to find a solution to a optimization problem. I understand optimization through linear programming but it is not enough to solve my problem.

What I would like to know is how dynamic programming deal with the optimization of the process as a whole, I mentioned LP because I can see how LP works (objective and constraints) and maybe DP has similitudes.

Maybe the answer of my question is studying more DP but any advise would be good.

I feel like a loop should be closed like in LP but I do not see the concept or concepts which ensure that.

I’ll apreciate any comment, thank you.

• 2 years later...

Hi Dentre,

Well, firstly Linear Programming refers to optimization while DP involves solving complex problems by breaking them down to simpler sub-problems using smart recursion.

So to answer your query, to solve a LP problem using Dynamic Programming is by breaking a problem into sub-problems.

Here are some great resources to help you understand DP problems.

Dynamic Programming Dp Introduction - InterviewBit

https://www.topcoder.com/community/competitive-programming/tutorials/dynamic-programming-from-novice-to-advanced/

Demystifying Dynamic Programming

Hope this helps :)

On 4/22/2020 at 4:05 PM, studiot said:

Welcome dentre and techgeekk.

@dentre Is this coursework?

Posting your actual problem might elicit more detailed help.

@techgeekk

+1

Hope to see more of your posts in future.

hey, thanks.