Free good graphing software?

onemind

I've not really found one that's free and that I like. The old Macs used to ship with something called Graphing Calculator, which was a great little program. However, beyond this, it gets a bit tricky.

Most of the time, I use gnuplot because I plot a lot of data sets from things like numerical ODEs. However, you can plot ordinary graphs fairly easily. Beware; it's not particularly user-friendly, and you can sometimes spend ages trying to get it to plot something.

Also, the classic octave+gnuplot combination (kindof like matlab, only under the GNU) is rather good for most plotting needs.

I made one, quite a basic one, but it works online and you dont have to download anything (written in javascript): http://www.gooba.rollingtank.com/2d.htm

The only problem is that you must use Internet Explorer and you must write equations in javaScript like:

y = Math.sin(x);

// sine

y = Math.atan(x);

// inverse tan (arctan)

y = Math.pow(2,x);

// exponential

Operations:

x + 2

x - 2

x / 2

x * 2

Brackets must include * even when one seems obvious like:

(x+1)*(x-1)

edit: just saw the other one ^, mines a piece of crap compared, but the language I chose was definantly not the one for the job ;)

If you're running win XP, do a search on Microsoft's website for PowerToy Calc. I ran into it by accident one day and it's pretty nice, does math for you as well as graph in 2d.

And it's free

Thats a nice Program from source forge. http://www.padowan.dk/graph/ and the source code is a available to download as well. http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/graph/GraphSource-3.3.1.zip?download

hope that works. you need C++ to work with the source code. Source Forge has some GNU license stuff you can download. I think there is a Good IDE for C++ on there as well.

The TI website has a great program called Derive on it. It is the most user friendly of all of the programs talked about in this thread. I am taking Multivariable calc this quarter and the instructor was using it to show us surfaces that we were sketching by hand. I downloaded the trial and have been using it to graph the surfaces I sketch for my homework problems.

After 30 days you need to cough up $99 for the academic version.

Also it works with the TI-92 calc and the 89. I have not played with these features yet.