Breathing, inhaling hydrogen

Alex HHO

While doing a search, I ran across a post about someone wanting to inhale hydrogen.  Everyone was telling him not to do it (it's actually very safe if you stay under 4.6%).  However, there has been a flurry of research in the last few years, mostly after 2007, showing the benefits of breathing hydrogen gas.  The medical conditions it could help are astounding, and almost unbelievable.  Like:

Improves cellular hydration
H2, like other gaseous signaling molecules (i.e. NO, CO, H2S), appears to have cell signal-modulating activity affording it with anti-inflammatory, anti-obesity, and anti-allergy benefits
Reduces hydroxyl free radicals (main cause of aging)
Reduction in blood pressure
Addresses systemic oxidative stress better than all other nutrients (smallest, most bioavailable antioxidant molecule, scavenges ONLY most destructive radicals, converting them to water – no toxic byproduct)

The list goes on and on.  Tyler LeBaron's web site is the best I know of on this topic, listing the know research into this:

http://www.molecularhydrogenfoundation.org/

If links are not permitted, just do a search for Molecular Hydrogen Foundation, it will be the first link that comes up.  There are various hydrogen generators on the market now, and more to come in the future.  The best one I know of is now being sold on ebay:

Link removed

If the link is removed due to policy, just do a search for name removed.  The name may change to removed, not sure yet.  Yes, it's my own unit. :)  There are other units for far less, but they mostly look like science experiments, and do not have the safety features I designed into the unit.

!

Moderator Note

We require that you present your discussion here, not demand members to go off-site to understand what you're on about. I have removed your eBay links and reference to your unit. You are not permitted to use this site for advertising.

Finally, as you are presenting what amounts to speculation, I have moved the thread to Speculations. You must adhere to the rules of this forum, as well as the general rules of SFN. 

Why do you think that http://www.molecularhydrogenfoundation.org/ is not a neutral source?

9 hours ago, hypervalent_iodine said:
!

Moderator Note

We require that you present your discussion here, not demand members to go off-site to understand what you're on about. I have removed your eBay links and reference to your unit. You are not permitted to use this site for advertising.

Finally, as you are presenting what amounts to speculation, I have moved the thread to Speculations. You must adhere to the rules of this forum, as well as the general rules of SFN. 

I figured you would remove my ebay listing link.  But I'm not sure what you're asking here.  I did not do the research, others did.  Do you want me to quote specific studies?  They are easily accessible on http://www.molecularhydrogenfoundation.org/ .  Again, the site is not selling any hydrogen generators for primarily health purposes, I am. 

The health benefits from breathing hydrogen gas, or drinking hydrogen infused water, is not speculation.  There are plenty of peer reviewed articles, and more are on the way.

47 minutes ago, Alex HHO said:

Do you want me to quote specific studies? 

That would be a start.

Citing them (directly) would be good too.

If you can show that the hydrogen actually stays in the "hydrogen infused water", rather than diffusing straight out. I will be interested.

4 hours ago, Alex HHO said:

The health benefits from breathing hydrogen gas, or drinking hydrogen infused water, is not speculation.  There are plenty of peer reviewed articles, and more are on the way.

Can you cite any of those peer reviewed articles? 

Hiraoka, A., et al., In Vitro Physicochemical Properties of Neutral Aqueous Solution Systems (Water Products as Drinks) Containing Hydrogen Gas, 2-Carboxyethyl Germanium Sesquioxide, and Platinum Nanocolloid as Additives. Journal of Health Science, 2010. 56(2): p. 167-174.

Lee, M.Y., et al., Electrolyzed-reduced water protects against oxidative damage to DNA, RNA, and protein. Appl Biochem Biotechnol, 2006. 135(2): p. 133-44.

Ohsawa, I., et al., Hydrogen acts as a therapeutic antioxidant by selectively reducing cytotoxic oxygen radicals. Nat Med, 2007. 13(6): p. 688-694.

Ohta, S., Molecular hydrogen as a novel antioxidant: overview of the advantages of hydrogen for medical applications. Methods Enzymol, 2015. 555: p. 289-317.

Shi, Q.H., et al., Hydrogen Therapy Reduces Oxidative Stress-associated Risks Following Acute and Chronic Exposure to High-altitude Environment. Biomed Environ Sci, 2015. 28(3): p. 239-41.

From: www.molecularhydrogenfoundation.org/studies/antioxidant/

Cai, W.W., et al., Treatment with hydrogen molecule alleviates TNFalpha-induced cell injury in osteoblast. Mol Cell Biochem, 2013. 373(1-2): p. 1-9.

Fujita, R., et al., Effect of molecular hydrogen saturated alkaline electrolyzed water on disuse muscle atrophy in gastrocnemius muscle. Journal of Physiological Anthropology, 2011. 30(5): p. 195-201.

Guo, J.D., et al., Hydrogen water consumption prevents osteopenia in ovariectomized rats. Br J Pharmacol, 2013. 168(6): p. 1412-20.

From: http://www.molecularhydrogenfoundation.org/studies/bones/

Dohi, K., et al., Molecular Hydrogen in Drinking Water Protects against Neurodegenerative Changes Induced by Traumatic Brain Injury. PLoS One, 2014. 9(9): p. e108034.

Domoki, F., et al., Hydrogen is Neuroprotective and Preserves Cerebrovascular Reactivity in Asphyxiated Newborn Pigs. Pediatric Research, 2010. 68(5): p. 387-392.

Eckermann, J.M., et al., Hydrogen is neuroprotective against surgically induced brain injury. Medical Gas Research, 2011. 1(1): p. 7.

Feng, Y., et al., Hydrogen-rich saline prevents early neurovascular dysfunction resulting from inhibition of oxidative stress in STZ-diabetic rats. Curr Eye Res, 2013. 38(3): p. 396-404.

Fu, Y., et al., Molecular hydrogen is protective against 6-hydroxydopamine-induced nigrostriatal degeneration in a rat model of Parkinson’s disease. Neuroscience Letters, 2009. 453: p. 81–85.

From: http://www.molecularhydrogenfoundation.org/studies/brain/

Dole, M., F.R. Wilson, and W.P. Fife, Hyperbaric hydrogen therapy: a possible treatment for cancer. Science, 1975. 190(4210): p. 152-4.

Jun, Y., et al., Suppression of invasion of cancer cells and angiogenesis by electrolyzed reduced water. In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology-Animal, 2004. 40: p. 79A-79A.

Kinjo, T., et al., Suppressive effects of electrochemically reduced water on matrix metalloproteinase-2 activities and in vitro invasion of human fibrosarcoma HT1080 cells. Cytotechnology, 2012. 64(3): p. 357-371.

Komatsu, T., Katakura, Y., Teruya, K., Otsubo, K., Morisawa, S., & and S. Shirahata, Electrolyzed reduced water induces differentiation in K-562 human leukemia cells. Animal cell technology: Basic & applied aspects, 2003: p. 387-391.

LEE, K.-J., et al., Anticancer Effect of Alkaline Reduced Water. J Int Soc Life Inf Sci, 2004. 22(2): p. 302-305.

Matsushita, T., et al., Investigation of protective effect of hydrogen-rich water against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats using blood oxygenation level-dependent magnetic resonance imaging. Jpn J Radiol, 2011. 29(7): p. 503-12.

http://www.molecularhydrogenfoundation.org/studies/cancer/

Drabek, T. and P.M. Kochanek, Improving outcomes from resuscitation: from hypertension and hemodilution to therapeutic hypothermia to H2. Circulation, 2014. 130(24): p. 2133-5.

Fujii, Y., et al., Insufflation of hydrogen gas restrains the inflammatory response of cardiopulmonary bypass in a rat model. Artif Organs, 2013. 37(2): p. 136-41.

Hayashi, T., et al., Inhalation of hydrogen gas attenuates left ventricular remodeling induced by intermittent hypoxia in mice. American Journal of Physiology – Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 2011. 301(3): p. H1062-9.

Hayashida, K., et al., H(2) gas improves functional outcome after cardiac arrest to an extent comparable to therapeutic hypothermia in a rat model. J Am Heart Assoc, 2012. 1(5): p. e003459.

Hayashida, K., et al., Hydrogen Inhalation During Normoxic Resuscitation Improves Neurological Outcome in a Rat Model of Cardiac Arrest, Independent of Targeted Temperature Management. Circulation, 2014.

Huo, T.T., et al., Hydrogen-Rich Saline Improves Survival and Neurological Outcome after Cardiac Arrest and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in Rats. Anesth Analg, 2014.

From: http://www.molecularhydrogenfoundation.org/studies/heart/

That should keep you busy for while.  As you can see, most of the studies were done in the orient.  They are way ahead of us in molecular hydrogen research and application, due to most of the higher ups in the FDA working for, or vying for a job with, the drug companies.  Molecular hydrogen for health purposes is just in it's infancy here in the US, but it's inevitable, since it works so well, and there are no side effects.  The upper limit for breathing it is 4.6%, for obvious reasons, and water infused with molecular hydrogen maxes out at about 1.6ppm.  As a chemist, you should know that the hydrogen will dissipate; hydrogen molecules will even go through quartz glass.  Storing hydrogen infused water in aluminum containers will reduce the dissipation, but I can't recommend this, as some aluminum ions will end up in the water.  Likewise, producing hydrogen water via mettalic magnesium is not recommended.  Although magnesium is an essential mineral, it's best to get it from plants, where it is easily assimilated.   The hydrogen infused water from my machine should be drunk within a few hours.  In an open container, it will have mostly dissipated after 24 hours.

5 hours ago, Alex HHO said:

Hiraoka, A., et al., In Vitro Physicochemical Properties of Neutral Aqueous Solution Systems (Water Products as Drinks) Containing Hydrogen Gas, 2-Carboxyethyl Germanium Sesquioxide, and Platinum Nanocolloid as Additives. Journal of Health Science, 2010. 56(2): p. 167-174.

Lee, M.Y., et al., Electrolyzed-reduced water protects against oxidative damage to DNA, RNA, and protein. Appl Biochem Biotechnol, 2006. 135(2): p. 133-44.

Ohsawa, I., et al., Hydrogen acts as a therapeutic antioxidant by selectively reducing cytotoxic oxygen radicals. Nat Med, 2007. 13(6): p. 688-694.

Ohta, S., Molecular hydrogen as a novel antioxidant: overview of the advantages of hydrogen for medical applications. Methods Enzymol, 2015. 555: p. 289-317.

Shi, Q.H., et al., Hydrogen Therapy Reduces Oxidative Stress-associated Risks Following Acute and Chronic Exposure to High-altitude Environment. Biomed Environ Sci, 2015. 28(3): p. 239-41.

From: www.molecularhydrogenfoundation.org/studies/antioxidant/

Cai, W.W., et al., Treatment with hydrogen molecule alleviates TNFalpha-induced cell injury in osteoblast. Mol Cell Biochem, 2013. 373(1-2): p. 1-9.

Fujita, R., et al., Effect of molecular hydrogen saturated alkaline electrolyzed water on disuse muscle atrophy in gastrocnemius muscle. Journal of Physiological Anthropology, 2011. 30(5): p. 195-201.

Guo, J.D., et al., Hydrogen water consumption prevents osteopenia in ovariectomized rats. Br J Pharmacol, 2013. 168(6): p. 1412-20.

From: http://www.molecularhydrogenfoundation.org/studies/bones/

Dohi, K., et al., Molecular Hydrogen in Drinking Water Protects against Neurodegenerative Changes Induced by Traumatic Brain Injury. PLoS One, 2014. 9(9): p. e108034.

Domoki, F., et al., Hydrogen is Neuroprotective and Preserves Cerebrovascular Reactivity in Asphyxiated Newborn Pigs. Pediatric Research, 2010. 68(5): p. 387-392.

Eckermann, J.M., et al., Hydrogen is neuroprotective against surgically induced brain injury. Medical Gas Research, 2011. 1(1): p. 7.

Feng, Y., et al., Hydrogen-rich saline prevents early neurovascular dysfunction resulting from inhibition of oxidative stress in STZ-diabetic rats. Curr Eye Res, 2013. 38(3): p. 396-404.

Fu, Y., et al., Molecular hydrogen is protective against 6-hydroxydopamine-induced nigrostriatal degeneration in a rat model of Parkinson’s disease. Neuroscience Letters, 2009. 453: p. 81–85.

From: http://www.molecularhydrogenfoundation.org/studies/brain/

Dole, M., F.R. Wilson, and W.P. Fife, Hyperbaric hydrogen therapy: a possible treatment for cancer. Science, 1975. 190(4210): p. 152-4.

Jun, Y., et al., Suppression of invasion of cancer cells and angiogenesis by electrolyzed reduced water. In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology-Animal, 2004. 40: p. 79A-79A.

Kinjo, T., et al., Suppressive effects of electrochemically reduced water on matrix metalloproteinase-2 activities and in vitro invasion of human fibrosarcoma HT1080 cells. Cytotechnology, 2012. 64(3): p. 357-371.

Komatsu, T., Katakura, Y., Teruya, K., Otsubo, K., Morisawa, S., & and S. Shirahata, Electrolyzed reduced water induces differentiation in K-562 human leukemia cells. Animal cell technology: Basic & applied aspects, 2003: p. 387-391.

LEE, K.-J., et al., Anticancer Effect of Alkaline Reduced Water. J Int Soc Life Inf Sci, 2004. 22(2): p. 302-305.

Matsushita, T., et al., Investigation of protective effect of hydrogen-rich water against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats using blood oxygenation level-dependent magnetic resonance imaging. Jpn J Radiol, 2011. 29(7): p. 503-12.

http://www.molecularhydrogenfoundation.org/studies/cancer/

Drabek, T. and P.M. Kochanek, Improving outcomes from resuscitation: from hypertension and hemodilution to therapeutic hypothermia to H2. Circulation, 2014. 130(24): p. 2133-5.

Fujii, Y., et al., Insufflation of hydrogen gas restrains the inflammatory response of cardiopulmonary bypass in a rat model. Artif Organs, 2013. 37(2): p. 136-41.

Hayashi, T., et al., Inhalation of hydrogen gas attenuates left ventricular remodeling induced by intermittent hypoxia in mice. American Journal of Physiology – Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 2011. 301(3): p. H1062-9.

Hayashida, K., et al., H(2) gas improves functional outcome after cardiac arrest to an extent comparable to therapeutic hypothermia in a rat model. J Am Heart Assoc, 2012. 1(5): p. e003459.

Hayashida, K., et al., Hydrogen Inhalation During Normoxic Resuscitation Improves Neurological Outcome in a Rat Model of Cardiac Arrest, Independent of Targeted Temperature Management. Circulation, 2014.

Huo, T.T., et al., Hydrogen-Rich Saline Improves Survival and Neurological Outcome after Cardiac Arrest and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in Rats. Anesth Analg, 2014.

From: http://www.molecularhydrogenfoundation.org/studies/heart/

That should keep you busy for while.  As you can see, most of the studies were done in the orient.  They are way ahead of us in molecular hydrogen research and application, due to most of the higher ups in the FDA working for, or vying for a job with, the drug companies.  Molecular hydrogen for health purposes is just in it's infancy here in the US, but it's inevitable, since it works so well, and there are no side effects.  The upper limit for breathing it is 4.6%, for obvious reasons, and water infused with molecular hydrogen maxes out at about 1.6ppm.  As a chemist, you should know that the hydrogen will dissipate; hydrogen molecules will even go through quartz glass.  Storing hydrogen infused water in aluminum containers will reduce the dissipation, but I can't recommend this, as some aluminum ions will end up in the water.  Likewise, producing hydrogen water via mettalic magnesium is not recommended.  Although magnesium is an essential mineral, it's best to get it from plants, where it is easily assimilated.   The hydrogen infused water from my machine should be drunk within a few hours.  In an open container, it will have mostly dissipated after 24 hours.

I appreciate your citations, some of them do not seem to have anything to do with hydrogen but others do so. Your claims of some sort of conspiracy against hydrogen therapy does not lend any credibility to your claims.  Some of the claims are really just wrong, hydrogen infused water would by definition be at least mildly acidic not alkaline. I also failed to see any human trials. There are some sources that indicate this is a scam... 

http://www.skepticblog.org/2009/01/05/water-snakeoil/

13 hours ago, Alex HHO said:

As you can see, most of the studies were done in the orient.  They are way ahead of us in molecular hydrogen research and application, due to most of the higher ups in the FDA working for, or vying for a job with, the drug companies.

"The orient"? Wow. Welcome to the 20th century.

Also, it might surprise you to know that the FDA does not control everything outside of "the orient". It is a US-based organisation that has no significant influence outside the USA. (Not that I give any credence to your conspiracy claims anyway.)

Are you Gil from Simpsons? you have to be!

Spoiler

hqdefault.jpg

On 10/7/2017 at 5:35 PM, Alex HHO said:

Again, the site is not selling any hydrogen generators for primarily health purposes, I am. 

I was skeptical at first about hydrogen infused water but after reading your oriental sources I am 100% convinced!

Spoiler

(of never buying hydrogen infused water) 

17 hours ago, Moontanman said:

I appreciate your citations, some of them do not seem to have anything to do with hydrogen but others do so. Your claims of some sort of conspiracy against hydrogen therapy does not lend any credibility to your claims.  Some of the claims are really just wrong, hydrogen infused water would by definition be at least mildly acidic not alkaline. I also failed to see any human trials. There are some sources that indicate this is a scam... 

http://www.skepticblog.org/2009/01/05/water-snakeoil/

"Electrochemically reduced water" is a big, 50 cent word for...molecular hydrogen.  Gotta luv researchers.  Anyway, you can find sources for just about anything on the interweb, can't you? 

To those of you that don't believe the research, or think that research from the orient - or far east or asia, for those of you that are politically correct - isn't as accurate  as research from the western nations, you shouldn't use hydrogen, or any other health treatments that don't come out of allopathic, peer reviewed western medicine.  Good luck.

There is a bigger picture here.  I sent a link to this thread to a friend, and this is his response:

"That is how these forums go. I understand everyone’s wariness about scams, but I did see someone on a forum post that said we are so critical, if a true health solution came out, we would have debunked it.

I have seen people with free, no product, reasonable advice get ripped to shreds and give up and not post again.

The FDA has no worries we are trained to self police."

I replied with these links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Semmelweis

http://www.zmescience.com/medicine/ignaz-semmelweis-biography-0423432/

4 hours ago, Alex HHO said:

To those of you that don't believe the research, or think that research from the orient - or far east or asia, for those of you that are politically correct - isn't as accurate  as research from the western nations

Has anyone said that they think that?

6 hours ago, Alex HHO said:

"Electrochemically reduced water" is a big, 50 cent word for...molecular hydrogen.  Gotta luv researchers.  Anyway, you can find sources for just about anything on the interweb, can't you? 

Yes this is true, as can you evidently... 

6 hours ago, Alex HHO said:

To those of you that don't believe the research, or think that research from the orient - or far east or asia, for those of you that are politically correct - isn't as accurate  as research from the western nations, you shouldn't use hydrogen, or any other health treatments that don't come out of allopathic, peer reviewed western medicine.  Good luck.

Again your insinuations of some sort of conspiracy depressing these findings has pretty much destroyed any credibility you might have with me...   

11 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Yes this is true, as can you evidently... 

Again your insinuations of some sort of conspiracy depressing these findings has pretty much destroyed any credibility you might have with me...   

Smells like he's using the Galileo gambit; fighting against the establishment.

A few years back someone I knew bought a device which bubbled ozone through a container of water. She was convinced it had health benefits (because her new age yogi friend told her so). I was sceptical of the health benefits but gave it a try. Reading around briefly I can only find sites that mention ozone for purification - they were claiming detoxing effects and blood purification from pathogens and stuff..  I wonder if the same lot are trying a different approach to sell their snake oils.  

40 minutes ago, DrP said:

A few years back someone I knew bought a device which bubbled ozone through a container of water. She was convinced it had health benefits (because her new age yogi friend told her so). I was sceptical of the health benefits but gave it a try. Reading around briefly I can only find sites that mention ozone for purification - they were claiming detoxing effects and blood purification from pathogens and stuff..  I wonder if the same lot are trying a different approach to sell their snake oils.  

People are drawn to 'elixirs' or things that remove 'toxins'. They are just buying dreams. and empty promises. Not learning any science is bad for your health and wallet.

You don't need these snake oils and hydrogen crap. Just drink some fresh beetroot juice, stop the pizza burgers and fizzy drinks and exercise more. Thats the real working snake oil :D  

Edited by Silvestru
grammar