the meaning behind your username..

blike

Mine used to be my artist title for my music, but then I found that there were hundreds of musicians using Paranoia for band names, and etc, and after researching trademark law I quickly decided I had better change it to avoid all the fuss. Voda La Void is my new artist title and I copyright under Paranoia Inc.

Mine is kinda stupid! I mean, how there be a bright shade?! But my friends usually call me shade (since I like walking a lot a night) so I just just added "the dark" (to specify I like walking on "the dark cloudy" nights). I was just a moment's thought really.

...my 'latin' initials (I think I would've to drop the 'h' in English).

I generally like to borrow names from mythologies, but I wanted a 'serious' username for this forum. Because science is a serious business, if you have fun, it's not science ! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey all,

I was inspired by this thread, and after a quick search discovered that a thread like this hadn't been made before. As the name suggests, post the meaning of your nick. Here's mine:

A long long time ago, in a galaxy not-so-far away, around the age of twelve or thirteen, I was unsuccessfully trying to come up with a nick. Everyone had one back then, and I didn't want to be left out. Unfortunately, my imagination was, and still is, very limited, meaning I had little luck. One day, I was watching TV, a program about computer game review sites. They were interviewing one of their moderators, which called himself Shadow. I though, hey, that's not half bad. It sounded good, and the first three letters where the same as in my surname. I also identified with it because back then I pretty much was a shadow; as unnoticeable as it gets. So, I adopted that nick for some time. After having an incident on a server of a game I was playing, I decided to change my name, and came up (using my own brains, yay!) with Avenging Angel. My first name is Gabriel, so that worked, and I wanted something that to me still had a connection to my previous nick; Avenging Angel and Shadow both sound kinda...'dark' to me. Anyway, that became my nick for some time. Unfortunately, it was too long, so I had to drop the 'Avenging' part, which resulted in people constantly thinking I was a girl (although I'll admit that had its advantages and made for a couple of good laughs) so I eventually just went back to Shadow. I also use the nick Gabe a lot of times, because I'm just too lazy to think of a new one.

What about you?

Cheers,

Gabe

mines quite simple too, Ages ago when I was about 13, I had a Walkie-Talkie that I re-tuned to the Ham band, realising I needed a call sign to use those frequencies I had to make something up, and Yours Truly 2095 (by E.L.O) was on the radio, so I picked YT2095.

it`s stuck ever since.

(and yes I soon realised that it wasn`t the correct number-letter protocol for Legit Ham call signs).

Mine's short for "InfiniteNow." For a long time, I've been questioning the concept of time. I used to get feelings of deja vu very often, and I would also dream events that later happened all precog-style. I wondered if something hadn't happened yet, how could I dream it. It didn't make sense, and one night after imbibing certain chemicals came to the conclusion that it's always "right now." Whether you're thinking about the past, the future, or anything else, you always do so in the present (of course, matters got a bit more confusing when I started reading about relativity and QM in pop books, but the heart of the issue remains... it's always right now, even though this right now I'm typing about is different (but still included somehow) in the right now I mentioned at the opening of this post.

So, I used InfiniteNow as my handle on a few sites. However, it got frustrating with how many people misspelled "infinite," and also people were always shortening it to something else, and iNow was the abbreviation I liked best.

that was confusing... the very old thread that i was reading suddenly became the new thread that had linked to it :confused:

topological weirdness aside: my user name means that i'm cack at choosing names, and rely on the 'randomly hit keyboard till something useable turns up' method.

If i had to choose again, it'd be: ;lkjasdfo;ijasdf;lkjsadf;lkjwerpiu... werpy?

I can't remember exactly why I chose "Sisyphus," other than it was a whim, and he's kind of a great character in Greek mythology. He's kind of an anti-hero, unsurpassed in cunning, and punished for all eternity for defying the arbitrary wrath of uncaring gods, and ultimately (and briefly) transcending death itself. He's best known for his punishment: endlessly pushing a boulder up a mountain in Tartarus. The adjective "Sisyphean" refers to endless, thankless tasks, and the quasi-Existentialist philosopher Albert Camus adopted Sisyphus as his hero and symbol of triumphant human will. Oh, and it looks a little bit like "sissy puss," and if I can adopt a handle like that, it shows I'm not afraid of anything. I don't use it as a username anywhere else on the internet, so any other Sisyphus you encounter is not me.

npts2020 comes from my desire to see America seriously undertaking an automated national personal transit system by the year 2020. Although I do use other names on the internet (mostly seedyjay - my initials CDJ), in any forum or discussion about transportation, technology, or science I will be npts2020.

I never read the manual. Never knew there should be a meaning behind a username. :D I always figured a name was a convenient way so that others can distinguish ones posts from all the others... so all I ever aimed for was having a different nick than other people. Because this is a standard check in the registration, I didn't even have to worry about it. First, the names YT2095, Gilded, and a bunch of other cool nicknames were refused. CaptainPanic was accepted.

Ok, ok... my parents gave me this name. It's my real name.

Edited by CaptainPanic
666 posts! I'll never post again!

Ever since i've got interested into online Forums i somehow ended up with Sin.

Maybe from my various acts, or my agreesive nature, or my Anti-God symptoms (Yes, its a real sickness people can get now-a-days!), i ended up typing Sin into the "Username" box, and ever since than I've been declared Sin on each website i go too, no matter what.

Even if the name is taken, im still Sin!

mines quite simple too, Ages ago when I was about 13, I had a Walkie-Talkie that I re-tuned to the Ham band, realising I needed a call sign to use those frequencies I had to make something up, and Yours Truly 2095 (by E.L.O) was on the radio, so I picked YT2095.

it`s stuck ever since.

(and yes I soon realised that it wasn`t the correct number-letter protocol for Legit Ham call signs).

I remember that song. That album rocked. :)