Guess what im "syinag"

U3D

I saw tihs ralely cool barin tsaeer and amsolt immediatly got it. The object is to read the paragraph below. Easy. But some worlds in the sentence are scrambled. Its actually easier tahn it seems.

Hlelo, ferind. How are you dinog tdaoy. Taht is a vrey ncie siut you hvae on. Are you ginog to a dnace? Is the wfie ginog wtih you? Well eojny yuorslef wihle you're trehe. Gdoboye.

Haha, its very simple. But if you don't get it then try reading it alound.

I might make more.

As already mentioned the point of the "problem" is that it is so easy.

It is the opposite of the one about naming the colours

what it says about how we read is interesting in the debate about how to teach people to read.

do you remember all that time you were taught to "spell the word out"?

learning phonetically?

interestingly in the UK the government is considering imposing "blended phonics" as a reading method to all children.

i loved the use use of the word "defrag" to describe what the brain does when it appears to unscamble the middle letters. What it does however is just skip over them.

what is happening is that your sensory system has been trained to do a job using an optimal parrallel processing system while you consciousness models it all as a continous single naritive. what puzzles like these do is show how your own (instinctive) model of what the brain is doing is so badly wrong.

another notable use of this exact phenomena is the use of the FCUK advertising/logo in the UK by the company "French Connection UK". A totally artificial name used get those initials.

It is so funny to watch the people who are similtaniously so anal as to be offended and at the same time so pedantic that they buy into the "proper" meaning of the initials. They are torn between being offended and insisting that the "initials" be read correctly; it is a hoot.

I remeber seeing this before.

Oxford University research revealed that as long as the first and last letters in a word remian the same you can jumble the rest up and ypu can still read it. Good to know that Oxford is researching such wise and challenging problems.

• 2 weeks later...

here's another one...but this one explains it a bit

Can you raed tihs? Olny sxey poelpe can

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

here's another one...but this one explains it a bit

Can you raed tihs? Olny sxey poelpe can

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

That was Kool......I read it without a problem.

Bettina

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another reason is that your eyes do not continuously scroll across a sentence. they move in jerky movements, and your brain gets a chunk of info at a time. thats why you can understand what people write by only seeing the first and last letter.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. I can't believe some of you people have never seen/heard of this before. It was discovered in Oxford University a year or two back now that as long as the first and last letter is in place you can jumble up the middle bit and you can read it fine. Many many emails went around using this fact at the time.

• 8 months later...
Wow. I can't believe some of you people have never seen/heard of this before. It was discovered in Oxford University a year or two back now that as long as the first and last letter is in place you can jumble up the middle bit and you can read it fine. Many many emails went around using this fact at the time.

actually it probably wasn't.

check it out... http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/cambridge.asp