Hidrogen Car

AtomicMX

This new invention of the Hidrogen Car seems to be not so good idea.

I once tried to do this but i get to realize that the process to get the hidrogen fuel, makes more pollution that the gas or diesel theirselfs, so, whats your opinion?

yes, i actually got the hidrogen in that way, but you use pretty much electricity to make the electrolisys.... and well at least in mexico, the electricity production is made by thermoelectrics that use diesel and other Pet. Derv. and well the pollution is quite high.

i meant, mass production.

and YT yes but, mmm in that case the energy generated would be more usefull in an electric car, that producing hidrogen.

i just think is not so mmmm ... there are better ways, something like that.

Actually, if hydrogen cars use air rather than canned O2, they might not be the best option after all. One of the annoying tradeoffs in hydrocarbon-burning engines is that if you work at a low temperature, you have high carbon monoxide but low NOx (which eventually becomes nitric acid in the atmosphere, then acid rain), and if you increase the temperatures enough to reduce CO, you get more NOx.

I'm wondering if hydrogen engines can run feasibly at temperatures low enough to make the NOx emissions tolerable.

Mokele

im sure the hydrogen tanks will be very strong when the make them. And even if a tank ruptures, hydrogen is so light it may be able to just rise up and fly off. And if it did light it would be more like a flash of fire, not as dangerous as gasoline cuz gasoline is liquid and stays there and burns long. just as thot

i meant' date=' mass production.

and YT yes but, mmm in that case the energy generated would be more usefull in an electric car, that producing hidrogen.

i just think is not so mmmm ... there are better ways, something like that.[/quote']

well there`s 2 ways of looking at it, if by electric cars you mean the sort that use batteries as their power source then yes, but fuel cell electric cars that use Hydrogen are different, so renewable sources would be better.

of cource, the other alternative would be to "Crack" the derv into the raw hydrogen and use that directly too :)

as for the tanks, they are indeed VERY strong! there`s also work being done with metal Hydrides, making it safer AND having the ability to hold more hydrogen per cm^3 than is possible in an ordinary tank :)

the thing is that the hit point of (marketing) of this cars, is that they do not pollute, but they do not take the background of the actual production of Hidrogen that pollutes a lot.

that would be may main complain.

I agree 100%, it`s ok saying that "my car is clean, the exhaust is pure water" but what was used to charge the batteries would be the reply, and How was that electricity produced?

indeed we may go further and ask what process(s) were involved in the battery manufacture and HOW are they to be disposed of?

renewable energy sources would be much better IMO, and the fuel cell seems to look quite promising :)

there`s also Hybrid Petrol/battery cars out there now too, you can switch over from battery if they run out and go petrol (not a bad idea really) and I think they use braking energy to transfer power to a gen that re-charges the batts a little to.

and IIRC sometime about now(ish) there`s a deisel addative that increase engine performance by 5%, I think it was cerium oxide (it`s been a while), non the less it doesn`t sound a great increase but every little helps where there`s no financial choice :)