Good and bad chemical smells, list yours

latentheat

Huh? Sr or even the oxide or Hydroxide has no smell!?

in fact I would go so far as to say that NON of the metal elements have a smell exactly (nor their oxides)' date=' the NON metal elements can certainly be VERY smelly as Oxides however (or even as the element itself).[/quote']

Maybe just plain irriation.

Small particle matter is maybe making it's way into my noise because when it reacts with the air it turns powder like. If I assume thats the oxide, it kicks you in the face all of a sudden which I assume is from the smell, and it's only with that element (...well Al-Sr90). You can't see it clouding though.

I wear a mask now so I can't recall so well.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I must say that metals CAN have a smell. I don't know what causes the smell, but it definitely exists. Try rubbing a copper coin with your fingers and then smell your fingers. Do the same with iron objects.

Also non-volatile salts of metals can have a smell. Dip your finger in a solution of FeSO4 and let it dry. Then smell your finger. Same smell as when you manipulate some iron objects.

Also if you count money, then you'll certainly notice the smell on your hands after you have done that.

For me, these metallic smells are not unpleasant, nor pleasant. They just are there.

But I agree with YT, that dry metal salts and also the dry metals, are odorless. The smells I describe only appear when the metal or its salts are rubbed with your hands.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I wish I could make dithiol or 4-methyl-4-sulfanylpentan-2-one because apparently one of those is potentially the smelliest substance ever. I don't think I'd go through with it though; the stuff would linger for too long ;)

"in fact I would go so far as to say that NON of the metal elements have a smell exactly (nor their oxides), "

YT2095, you might wish to look up the origin of the name "osmium" though I grant that it's unusual.

Hehe. I was just about to say the same thing. :D

• 1 month later...

OMG I completley forgot about this thread.

Anyone ever use SybrSafe?

There's nothing quite like the small of freshly cooked warm SybrSafe and agarose coming out of the microwave mnnnnnn.

(though I rather doubt anyone knows what i'm talking about....)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well...as far as good smells go....benzaldehyde smells pretty good...and we just used...hmmm.....I can't remember it now...it was a nitrogen reagent...aha! tricaprylmethylammonium chloride or aliquat 336. It smelled bad. In organic lab we're doing a convergent synthesis of hexaphenylbenzene.

Other smells I like, leather, specifically that around horses. And new cans of tennis balls.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hmmm piperidine smells like semen??...hmmm doing an organic project to synthesise piperine and we're using piperidine this'll be interesting :S

Worst smell ever that has entered my nose has to be triethyl phosphite...i cringe at that smell. the smell is just disgusting

I think it was piperidine, anyway... I can't remember for sure. I blanked a lot of it out... I was a first year pHd student and opened a bottle, and as the smell wafted around, one of the postdocs said "hermann, have you farted?" I never quite got over it.

• 1 year later...
Iron(III) chloride (PCB etchant) and potassium nitrate both smell bad. And copper sulfate, kind of.

(KNO3 and CuSO4 only smell when there's a whole lot of it, like in the container it comes in.)

How come you can list two compounds that are not volatile and one that's barely volatile?