Question about teaching physics to myself.

TestTube

I plan to major in physics next semester, but I want to get a head start. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to go about teaching physics to myself from the ground up; perhaps a suggestion of the best physics textbook(s), video lessons, full courses, etc. (I tried looking at the MIT free courses on youtube but they seemed to use notations that the classes I plan to take will not use, and it seemed like they bounced all over the place. I also would prefer not to use Khan Academy because the material provided is extremely limited (only 1-3 10min videos on a single subject then onto the next subject. I need in-depth explanations and many examples).

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I am currently employed as a mathematics tutor, just so you understand that the mathematical portion of any problem will not pose an issue. Extracting and constructing the logic from the problem(s) would be the main focus.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I would suggest getting books related to physics, get a old physics 101 or physics 201 if you want calculus based. That is the way I did it beginning my Biophysics career but in my case I had always been interested in physics, I think my first book at age 9 was Steven Hawking's Universe in a Nutshell, which non mathematically explains M-Theory.  In any case, Old physics books are really cheap as the universities does not use that older version anymore, but the Universe certainly does.

Edited by Vmedvil

• 3 weeks later...