Nh4no3 = ??

Digitals

Yeah ammonium nitrate is NH4NO3. That looks too expensive if it is american dollars and even if it isn't its still over. I think they sell it at garden stores as fertilizer that will be cheeper, YT will know good sources for this stuff he is the guru of chem scrounging :D

~Scott

If you want lab grade ammonium nitrate, that is indeed a good price - unfortunately, that page does not spec purity, so it's hard to make a good judgement. If that's better than 98% purity, I'd say that's not a bad price at all.

holy smeg! $26+ for 500gm? are you kidding me, that`s an appauling price for ANY grade!
Wow YT...I'd better consult you, the next time I buy chemicals. :eek:

We usually buy stuff from Fishersci or VWR, and you wouldn't get 500g for less than 40 bucks from either.

it depends what you want, if it`s 99.5% pure £22 (about $38) will get you a kilo

if it`s the 98% stuff mentioned then you`ll get 3kg for your $40 (£25.75 UK).

if it`s agricultural grade then you`ll get a 25Kg sack for a tenner! (about 6 dollars)

Actually, NH4NO3 is one of the best explosive compounds out there. Tons of it are used every year in the construction and mining industry. It is VERY powerful and very insensitive, but incredibly effective at what it does. However, the NH4NO3 does need to be prepared and packaged in a certain way, which I will NOT describe here, in order to become that good explosive composition.

actualy 500g of AN probably wouldn`t even detonate completely anyway, AN has a critical diameter of at least 10cms before it`s even viable as a heaving charge, less than that and the cap will just splatter it all over the place and you`ve wasted it.

charges less than a kilo are a total waste of time without a certain sensitiser, and even then you need #6 cap min to detonate it and also within a certain timeframe of mixing it (it`s a slurry type).

and you`ll need tens of kilos for prill detonation as ANFO.

it`s great for blasting work where heavy loads need moving, but lacks the brissance for really interesting effects :)

Yeah, but if you're using it for the intended purpose of an explosive (which is to move large amounts of material in a short period of time), any loud brisance or emission of light is a waste of energy. :D

I couldn`t agree with you more, esp when high brissance would pulverise the mateial your trying to extract into a useless product.

ANFO is the perfect soln to it, the DV`s low enough to get the job done, the OB`s correct so as not to cause ignition probs, there`s no solid phase condensate and so all`s happy, job done :)

Yup. And because of the low temperature of the explosion, you don't have to worry about things in a close proximity catching fire like you would with other explosive compounds. (Things like TNT and trinitroglycerol may ignite flammable materials nearby due to their higher 'detonation' temperature, if that's what it's actually called. Hence why they make such good millitary explosives).