Urine germs

RyRy

Hi, my daughter wet herself in the hallway of our apartment building (shoes and all). She walked all along the hallway carpet in her urine-drenched shoes. Is that a serious hygiene issue? Just wondering if i need to ask the building manager to clean the carpet. I feel a bit guilty that she might've spread germs...thanks

Urine is not sterile but the bacteria it does contain are part of a normal microbiota (assuming she doesn't have a urine infection).  As long as she has no wounds there is no problem for her. In terms of the carpet there was probably more bacteria on it than in the urine. You should get it cleaned though because stale urine stinks.

Thank you for your reply. No, no urine infection. She doesn't have any wounds, but it's her urine anyway. I'm more concerned that the urine would pose a risk to the other tenants. Oh dear, I see a huge carpet cleaning bill coming my way.

47 minutes ago, RyRy said:

Oh dear, I see a huge carpet cleaning bill coming my way.

Not sure if you have them in your country, but in the US most big supermarkets will rent you a carpet cleaner and sell you the cleaning solutions for a minimal price. You only need to do a section, right? I would NOT leave it to the landlord to have someone come in to do this. It's an easy fix that doesn't require professionals.

I like that you want to do the right thing, but since the landlord doesn't know about this, I see no reason to loop him/her in on it. If he/she sees you cleaning the carpet, you can tell him/her something dripped when you were bringing it home (not a lie). You wanted to be a good tenant, so you took care of it yourself.